• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

just not sure

63-WRAY

So I'm having my 63 SII redone by some locals that have a metro restoration shop. This is the 4th time I owned it since 1973 and I'm keeping it. 19 years ago before I sold it to doc I had quite a bit of work done, some private and some at Sports Car Haven outside of Bloom. I had it painted black which helped to hold the metal interior and everything all these years, but I'm not sure if I want to keep it that way, but the original color Wedgewood Blue just doesn't show the crome. I'm thinking the Lake Blue or the 62 Hillman Venetian Red. The seats have been redone in a dark Gray witn black piping which should go with anything and I'm putting a white hard top on I got from some great guys in NY. Is none original uncool or anything? Oh, and the Mirrors, just where do they go? Door, fender way down, or close to the door, is it up to me or is there a standard?

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
You'll find a variety of opinions here in the club, and that's what keeps the world turning. For purists like myself I'd advise to keep the original color, but if you want to stray then the next best thing is one of the colors offered on Alpines.

Others will tell you it's your car (which it is) and you're welcome to paint it whatever color you want. Alpine values are beginning to climb, and I believe the day will come when one restored to original specs will command a higher premium than a "custom" job, but in the end people will pay top dollar for any well-done restoration.

I'm not in it for the investment value, I like to drive mine and enjoy the experience.

As for mirrors, they were all over the place, just like radio antennas. Take a look through the photo gallery and see what you like. Some, like me, prefer the more British look with the mirrors out on the wings (fenders), others prefer the single mirror on the driver's door. Again, up to you.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I think you should feel free to paint your Alpine any Rootes color you like. There are enough guys like me (bright orange metallic, which strangely enough, really makes the chrome "pop" and is the reason it was chosen) that guys like Scott absolutely light up when they see an Alpine painted in ANY Alpine color.

Bill

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
Mirrors on the Fender

:p
Every time you close the door the mounted Mirror will be moved, practically says put the things up on the fender. Just my 2 cents!

Donna
:D