• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

just got my 2.8

T

turbinepete

Back from the salvage yard with a 2.8.

At first, I was told that it had the standard transmission but as it turns out, it`s an automatic. I guess the bell housing is junk if i`m planning to go with the 96+ transmission, right?

If anybody has a suggestion for a good overhaul manual for this engine, I would like to know. My biggest problem right now is removing the distributor:confused: .

Thanks again.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Pete,

The bellhousing for the automatic transmission will not work. Be sure to keep the thikn steel seperator plate, because finding one for a standard shift, is hard. The one for the automatic will work in it's place though.

I have found that Haynes prints a manual for the the Mustang II, 1974-1978, and for the Ranger/Bronco II, 1983-1985, that is pretty good. You may have to order one from the local parts store, but I have used them with good results.

Jose :)

T

turbinepete

Thanks again, Jose.

I think I will just put in the automatic transmission.... Just kidding.:)

T

turbinepete

Jose,

A little while back you mentionned that the only bellhousing that makes any of these transmissions a bolt up operation, is the one from a Mustang 11 with the four speed, years 1974-1978.

Would it matter if the engine was a V6 or not? In other words, if I find a Mustang 11 with a 4 cylinder but with a four speed, will the bellhousing be the same?

thanks again.

Pete

Chris_64

Donation Time
Bellhousing

I picked up a Mustang II V6 with a bellhousing that is for a four speed, but I was thinking of putting in an automatic.... Maybe there's a deal here?

Rsgwynn1

Silver Level Sponsor
I believe I saw a Mustang II C4 on eBay the other day. There was also a Rad4 that appeared to be in good shape. The bellhousing went for around $200 but I got the block plate for $10.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Jose,

A little while back you mentionned that the only bellhousing that makes any of these transmissions a bolt up operation, is the one from a Mustang 11 with the four speed, years 1974-1978.

Would it matter if the engine was a V6 or not? In other words, if I find a Mustang 11 with a 4 cylinder but with a four speed, will the bellhousing be the same?

thanks again.

Pete
Hi Pete,

The bellhousings for the V6 and the I4, are different, in that the four cylinder has the starter bulge on the passenger side of the engine, and the V6 has it on the drivers side. The oil filter fitting on the V6, is on the passenger side, so if you used the I4 bellhousing, the starter would preclude having an oil filter for the engine.

Jose :)

T

turbinepete

Thanks for your responses.

Chris, I would be glad to do this.

I`m based in Montreal but I am regularly in the Boston, Hartford and Port Colombus areas. Drop me a PM.

Cheers.

Pete