• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Joys of winter

sammaw@bellsout

Silver Level Sponsor
With winter just around the corner, here what some of you guys have to look forward to. We in the south, however, just need a sweater.

jmthehermit

Donation Time
I'm planning to get my snow thrower ready for winter this weekend. Doing the whole nine yards. Oil change, grease the zerks, check belts, air up the tires, adjust the carb and set the speed and install a new spark plug. Nothing like the warm feeling of being ready for snow. The best thing is that in the last few years that I've been prepared for the big snow, it just never showed up! Jeff

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

I never had to worry about that down under. Looks like a bit of fun though (as long as nothing hits you). A bit of snow rally action.

Regards, Robin.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
This picture brings back great memories. I remember driving my Alpine on snow covered streets. It sure was fun driving sideways. My wife didn't appreciate it much, but she learned that even though a car may be sideways, it is still under control. FUN, FUN, FUN!!

Jose :D

jmthehermit

Donation Time
I remember those winter driving days all too well, even though it was forty years ago. I found a large golf course parking lot close to my house that had no light poles stuck into its surface. What a great place to do drifting and powerslides when it was covered in snow and ice. Some times I even put the top down when the girlfriend was along. She loved getting showered with the snow when I did some 360's. I should of kept her too.

Jeff Scoville

Donation Time
Funny to come across this.
As I was up in Wisconcin Saturday night to retrieve another of the Alpines, my friend and I thought how fun it would be to race my modified snowmobile through the freshly cut cornfield behind his property.
This of course was around 3:30 AM sunday morning!
We weren't exactly of full reasoning at this point, but because it actually fired up on the second pull after sitting since February, it must be fate.
I must say even though it's much cooler with snow on the ground, which also denotes wearing my nice warm helmet, I had a blast!
Other than all the dust in my eyes, I must say doing over 110 miles an hour so close to the ground and not even getting a chill (from the temperature that is) it was the most thrilling/enjoyable thing I've done since being in the hospital.
Luckily, the neighbors being waken up by all the noise (I run open header exhaust you can hear for miles) the next morning were quite ammused by the whole thing! For me, if it weren't for snowmobiling, I wouldn't care to ever see snow again.
The only downer of the weekend was getting only 2 hours of sleep before we had to get up and go golfing this morning! Then of course trailering home in traffic for 2.5 hours back to the shop tonight has me about wiped out.
Anyhow, after the "dry run" I can't wait for some rideable inches of the white stuff, ecspecially with the thought of wiping out in a cornfield in a t-shirt rather than in 8+ inches of slippery snow in a leather snowsuit & helmet!
Ah, But the adrenaline was flowing! Time for some sleep.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Awww yes. After two winters in Reno, looking forward to "struggling" thru an Arizona winter. Watching the weather report where the northeast is buried under a new storm. Feeling guilty :rolleyes: taking my car for a run to Tucson or up to Prescott. Nothing says Christmas like a Cactus draped in Christmas lights....

And next summer when you guys up north can enjoy your cars, I'll have mine garaged so the paint doesn't melt off...

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
AAHHH winter.Its coming for sure.
Regina Saskatchewan got a dumping of snow the other day.
We had lots of rain for our Thanksgiving here but nice today.Did more leaves this AM. as rain is forecast again.So far only 28 bags.Thank goodness for the John Deere gardeen tractor.One good thing about winter is I can work on car stuff a lot more.We sold our building a few years ago so no snow to do there anymore.Still do our neighbor's driveway though as she is a widow.
November 4th is when the cars are put away so hopefully there will still be a few good driving days yet.We will be going out for a ride later and do our civic duty of voting.Its our election day today but we don't have anything like the media doing stuff like you yanks.We sure do get a lot of coverage though of your election campaign.
Getting hungry so must go

Pumpkin

Donation Time
As one said" AH yes" How am I going to stand it, I mean 4 months camping down in the western southern coast of MEXICO.. Just a short 250 mile north of Acapulco, 80 degs and that sombrella in my drink.. I will of course remember all of you guys and gals up in the regular weather.. :) And send a note too..

When we returned last spring, one of my neighbors said" You really missed out on some hard rains" , Of course I looked her in the eyes and sadly said" NO I didn't" ..:(

Pumpkin is up on blocks already for it....
Cheers
chuck