• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

It's Finaly In

coupe

Donation Time
Hello Darkside;
Well It's really in not fired yet, waiting on the tach, but in none the less.
I have'nt painted the alt. but had to fit it up and will pull it and paint it before I finish.

Attachments

• DCP_2141.jpg
    DCP_2141.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 127
  • DCP_2143.jpg
    DCP_2143.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 104
  • DCP_2144.jpg
    DCP_2144.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 99
  • DCP_2140.jpg
    DCP_2140.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 133

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Congratulations Joe!!

It sure looks great. I´m thrilled to see you´re almost done. Please let us know how it runs. Please give us all the details.

Jose

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Aw-right, looks nice. Now, I'm really getting jealous. I'm still working on the MGB conversion.:eek:

coupe

Donation Time
would ya think?
got the cooling system all buttoned up filled with water.... good no leaks..HA! so I thought next morning I see water on the floor,coming out of the weep hole on the new water pump! I pulled it and the rad naturally, will take it back and start all over again, mannn I was peeved, I wanted to start on the fuel lines and the electrical set up cause the TPI gages are due to be delivered on monday.
I guess the well laid plans of mice and men....
coupe

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hey Coupe,

Did you buy a rebuilt water pump? I recommend buying a new one, because even new, they don´t last more than a few years in stock applications, and if you like to buzz it up, it shortens the life span to about 1.5-2.0 years. It is the reason Ford went to a longer pump on the Ranger/Bronco II version, with two ball bearings to support the shaft, rather than the single one the Mustang II version has.

Jose

coupe

Donation Time
Hi Jose,
I sure did buy a reman, it was in stock and no wait I figured good to go have used them before on different vehicles with good results...not this time! I'll take it back and wait for the oem pump for sure lesson learned. It would have to teach me a lesson on one of the closest fitting applications I've done.
coupe

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Jose,

I know you've posted this before but here goes..... Why can't we use the Bronco/Ranger water pump with the two bearings? Is it a spacing issue?

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Nick,

The Ranger/Bronco II water pump is about 2.5" longer than the earlier Mustang II version. As you know, you can barely fit a radiator in front of the engine with the shorter Mustang II water pump. As it is, some of the guys have only about .250"-.375" clearance between the fan and radiator.

I have moved the radiator forward and down on my friend´s Series II, which gave us another 2.0" in front, which may be enough room to fit the longer water pump. It isn´t hard to do, but you´d need to trim a bit of metal around the radiator hole, and a bit under the new position for the radiator. If you do it, just weld in a stiffener under the radiator.

Jose

Jose,

I know you've posted this before but here goes..... Why can't we use the Bronco/Ranger water pump with the two bearings? Is it a spacing issue?

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Also keep in mind that the MII timing cover is different than the Ranger/BII. If you went with the R/BII pump you would have to use the R/BII timing cover as well. But if your motor was from the R/BII then you already have it. That is unless you tossed it, along with the water pump pulley.

There was a earlier post, from JimE I believe, that someone was telling him, about a mod that would allow use of the longer water pump. But as I recall, he wasn't able to get more info on it.

coupe

Donation Time
Hey guys,
got further along today, need a few bends in the fuel line and bleed the brakes wire the pump. I finished the oil cut off and pressure gage setup- painted the exhaust with vht paint remeasured the stearing arm clearance made up the throttle cable and almost finished the gas peddle fitup.
The TPI gages came in and I won't wait to install them, I'll run temp wires to them in a stand so I can run it and not have to put them into the dash till later cause I have some dash work to finish when they do go in. Between getting the fittings and being on your back under the dash it was a long day!
I'll put more pix in later.
coupe

kmathis

Donation Time
Sure gets exciting when it all starts coming together, sounds like you are getting close to crank up.:D

coupe

Donation Time
Hey Kelly,
Had a set back, I pulled the cooling syst to install a new water pump. I'm painting it and will reinstall soon, as I do some on the gages and fuel pump. Crankup is on hold for now. I moved the rad down and to the right to better center the fan, not alot but have a gap at the top now... maybe an air dam at the top is in order I'll look more at this. I like the flex line you have for the slave thanks for the help.
Joe

coupe

Donation Time
First Fire Up!!!

Hey Jose, Hey all !!!!
I fired her up tonight, had a small oil leak and one water leak which proved to be a real b---h. It was on the thermo house but got it and so the oil leak...loose conn. Hit the go switch and ran for 20 min, shut it down to cool and found the rough run vac leak at the pcv line, now it purrs at 900 rpm and the exhaust is just rough enough to be real fun. I was bothered by the rough idle till I found the leak, man that responds and runs so smoothly I can hardly wait to get it on the pavement. I have to do some checking about the video I am not familiar with the process. I have a tape vid cam not a dvd so I might not be able to get it on the forum for all to see.
Still have to bleed the brakes and clutch to set it down and try to get a workable gas pedal, this may take some doing. later GENTS.
Joe

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Congratulations Joe!!!

You have just begun to enjoy your Alpine. It would be great to hear and see the video, but if you can´t post it, we will enjoy your enthusiasm in your posting. Do you still have open headers? Are you running my cam? As soon as you take it for it´s first ride, please let us know what you think. I can´t wait to hear.

Jose

kmathis

Donation Time
Congrats, Joe; it sure is a good feeling to hear those pipes roar when you start it up. Can't wait 'till you get it on the street, it is sooo responsive.
Good for you!

coupe

Donation Time
Hey kelly,
I know what you mean, When it first hit I was real nervous. I have rebuilt a fair amount of engines in my time but it never fails to get that rush when it comes to life for the first time! I know it's takeing me longer to do this but I'm doing a wood work job to. I had a friend give me a piece of black walnut he and his dad cut down in 1953, and I've been fabricating a new dash out of it complete with new TPI gages, Gold with tan faces.
The wood was 1" thick and I had to plain it down and use an old bakelight dash as a template for the holes and enlarge them as needed for the gages and I have to finish the edges to fit in the opening. I used it as a test stand for start up and now I have to pull the old pnl out and rewire for the new one. I also used a kit from summit for the exhaust, you have seen the one, 2&1/4" pipe, 4-45's, 4-90's, 4-48" lengths 4-180's all flaired at one end and ready to fitup and 2 summit turbos for mufflers. PICS are coming.
Joe

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi Joe,
Happy to hear you are about ready for the road. Great work . Hope you can post some pictures soon.
Took my Series II v6 to Columbia this past weekend for the BCC show. It run out really well w/ about 20 mpg; on the way back to Durham I run between 70-80 w/o issue except for an apparent alternator problem. No coolant or oil leaks which were a concern . A/C would have been really nice .