• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Installing bonnet

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Rich, I hope you can find the article and I hope it helps. Your solution to extend the primary latch pin one full turn out is off target. That would sort of raise the hood one full turn, but actually what happens is it would put the safety latch even further in tension.

So instead consider turning the primary latch one turn IN. Except that tries to pull the hood further down and if the bumpers at the corners are set right, it just makes it harder to close the hood, and makes the tension on the primary latch greater.

So the real issue is to somehow move the safety latch. But I see no adjustment for that other than bending the catch bracket on the bonnet.

Nick, Thanks. The primary latch works well, smooth, and clears the hole completely

Tom

sammaw@bellsout

Silver Level Sponsor
As far as why the safety catch, it seems this latch was used on other cars as well as the Alpine. I was looking at an Aston Martin, DB-4, at a show, and noticed it used the same latch with a slightly different operator arm.

Thor 1211

Silver Level Sponsor
Hood latch

Tom:

I had the same trouble getting the hood up and spent the better part of a day fiddling with the release to get it to operate, including taking the hinges off a few times. The trick is fitting the pin that has the conical tip centered on the hole in the recepticle on the fire wall and is set at the proper depth so that it just clears the main latch. I removed and cleaned both plates and all the hardware on the hood and on the firewall and lubed everything. I had to lenghten the holes on the hood mounting plate and on the firewall plate. I pulled the hood latch and held it with vice grips and then made sure that the main latch was adjusted so that it completely cleared the hole in the receiver. I aligned the conical tip mounting by using masking tape on the receiver and a magic marker on the tip till I was sure that it went right into the center of the hole in the receiver. Then I tightened everything down. Finally, I released the latch handle and adjusted the main latch until it just caught the cone. Then in about 1/8" or so more for a good hold. The hood didn't shut quite tight so I adjusted the cone in about 1/2 turn at a time until the hood sat flush. I bent the receiver for the safety latch until it caught properly. Now it operates fine and the pull on the latch handle is light.

RootesRich

Donation Time
Tom, you're going to have to trust me on this it's all part of the dark art of Alpine hood latches. I've got experience with these latches dating back to watching Bay Area Tiger owners in the early 80's set their latches up to initially release and hold on the safety latch for the purpose of venting engine heat on hot days. They'd get enough of a gap between the hood and the cowl to help vent heat while driving and have the safety of it being latched. A second pull of the hood release would pop the hood completely.
Your issue is the tension on the safety latch. When everything is properly adjusted there should be between 1/8"-1/4" clearance between the safety catch and the safety latch when closed. In your case something is so out of adjustment that it is causing too little clearance so when you release the hood the spring tension is holding the catch on the latch. I think Thor's tips will help you solve your issue.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks guys, I will not be working on this until it gets warmer outside. But I WILL refer back to these comments then.

Tom