• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

In the mail today...

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Just got 2 original Zenith rebuild kits from the sixties today. Great find after many years nothing like that came up anymore. That period temperature insulator is way better than the cheap black plastic repro thingy which is in the rebuild kits nowadays....
IMG_20210813_161846.jpg

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Awesome!

I had the same experience in getting old rebuild kits for Zeniths that had these plungers for the acceleration pump. Even the 40 year old leather, once lubricated, was better than anything the new ones had. (This was not for a Sunbeam).

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
...That period temperature insulator is way better than the cheap black plastic repro thingy which is in the rebuild kits nowadays....

True, and you should use it. However, do be careful - it contains asbestos -indeed, it's *mostly* asbestos. Take reasonable care to vacuum up any dust, and I'd probably use some clear lacquer around the edges to bond-in any loose fibres.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Kevin,

thanks for the "heads up". Was expecting that the gasket block was made from asbestos which -except the health issues related- by far is a very good temp isolator. Need to be careful with that material obviously, but remember cutting plenty of asbestos roof plates when I was young. Anyhow will use them on the next Zenith rebuild ...