• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Ignition issue

Derek

Donation Time
Well the car was running fine and then not so good, I have a miss and sputter going on under throttle, my SV has a 32/36 weber on a pierce manifold and is running Crane XR700 ignition, older Lucas sport coil, new plugs and wires. This is the way the car was set up when I bought it 5 yrs ago and it has worked flawlessly until just this past week. I've swapped cap and rotor no change. When I put a timing light on it I don't get a steady flash from #1, #2 & 3 are fine and #4 is really off. So here are the questions, could this be a weak coil ? is the XR 700 failing ? what have I missed?

Thanks Derek

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Check the inside of your distributor cap for arcing.

Also you can connect a plug wire and plug right to the coil output terminal and see how hot the spark is while you crank it.
Be sure the plug threads are touching the chassis.

You might also try a different coil.
Make sure the coil either is an internal ballast coil (not all lucas sport coils are) or has at least 1.2 ohms external ballast resistor.

Derek

Donation Time
No arcing evidence, just tried the plug to the coil, it does not look very impressive, small blue spark..does this sound like the coil ?