• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Ignition help

Geoff 67

Donation Time
I have been bringing a 67 S5 back to life and have encountered an ignition problem. When the car is running and I turn on headlights or turn signals the engine stops. I then have to wait for several minutes before I can even get the ignition light to come and restart the car.
Is this a voltage regulator problem or a possible short somewhere? Where do I look first ?
Geoff

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Just for clarity, the ground strap is / was originally located at the tranny rear mount.

First step would be to measure the voltage at the battery. and then at the solenoid. Should be 12.6 V or so when not running, should be about 14.5 V when running. Should stay at 14.5 V when you turn on the lights. Of course if teh motor stops, the volatge should drop back to about 12.6 or so.

Once we know that we can move forward and see why the motor stopped when the lights went on! ??? Very strange!

Tom

Geoff 67

Donation Time
The ground strap is connected and tight. The voltage is just under 13 at the battery and 14.5 at the solenoid. I got under the dash and found some wires that have been very hot in the past. The white wire from the ignition to the fuse block and the large blue wire running from the headlight toggle to the dimmer switch. I may want to replace the entire wiring harness, but for now will probably replace the bad wires.
Is there a list somewhere that gives the wire size for the various colors?

Geoff

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
This is strange. If these voltage readings are with the car running , then there is some problem in the battery cable or connection. Corroded batttery terminals? the voltage at the battery, while charging should be just slightly - like 0.1 V - lower than at the solenoid. And if these voltages are with the car not running you misread the meter. With motor not running the battery is the only source of energy and the volage at the battery will be the highest of any point in the system.

Tom

Geoff 67

Donation Time
I borrowed another meter and the voltage is the same , battery and solenoiod. I'm replacing the fried wires. I am glad the car just shut off and did not burn anything else under the dash. Thanks for the help
Geoff