• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Idle oil pressure

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I drove my SV today for the first time in a couple of weeks and was surprised by the oil pressure at idle. Unless my memory is failing me (always a distinct possibility), my pressure when warm has always been around 25 psi at idle (around 1100 RPMs) and 45 at 3000 RPMs, which I think is pretty close to what it is supposed to be. On a highway drive today it was still 45 when warm but only went down to 35-40 or so at idle.

The only thing that has changed recently is that I switched from Castrol 10W30 to Rotella 15W40. Is the change in viscosity enough to account for the increase in idle oil pressure?

V_Mad

Donation Time
I would say yes, it is due to the thicker oil. The upper figure has not changed, possibly because that is the release pressure of release valve.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Jim,

Yes the thicker oil should give you a slightly higher reading, however.. your idle is 1100rpm? That seems high.. I am thinking even worth a warm cam.. 1000 is fine.. and 900 is what i ran mine on even with the DCOES.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Jim,
your idle is 1100rpm? That seems high.. I am thinking even worth a warm cam.. 1000 is fine.. and 900 is what i ran mine on even with the DCOES.

Yeah, its a little high. I have run it at 900 and 1000, but the higher idle seems best for off idle acceleration.

Nickodell

Donation Time
The longer the oil is in use, the more water and gasoline it absorbs and the more the viscosity index extenders get used up. Add to that the lower flow resistance with a new filter (of course everyone with something between their ears replaces the filer along with the oil, right?) and you should get a slightly increased pressure.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
That all makes sense, but I don't think I ever registered this high of idle pressure before, even with fresh oil. I didn't expect the change to the Rotella to make that much difference.