• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

I think It’s the water pump

Acollin

Donation Time
1966 series V mostly factory stock

I believe I have a water pump issue but I would like some help in confirming my suspicions. If you look at my pictures you will see a discharge on the underside of my hood and on the windscreen washer sack. The discharge is barely noticable and what you see takes some time to develop. It wipes off and does not smell like antifreeze or oil. It doesn’t have an “Oh , thats what it is” smell to it. The pump is not noisy and there is only a slight bit of wobble when I grab onto the fan blade and give it a good shake.
My guess is based pretty much on the logic of the spray pattern. The car works fine— does not overheat,etc.

Any ideas and or questions are welcome. I plan to buy a new pump, but would like a little support for my conclusions before I place the order.
Help if you can!!!
Andrew
Sandy, Oregon

Attachments

• 01126736-8245-4D96-A176-74963A8B2393.jpeg
    01126736-8245-4D96-A176-74963A8B2393.jpeg
    336.3 KB · Views: 50
  • BFB8E9B5-7B47-40D4-960B-02DF01BAA800.jpeg
    BFB8E9B5-7B47-40D4-960B-02DF01BAA800.jpeg
    264 KB · Views: 46

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
I know you said it doesn't smell like oil (but you also said it doesn't smell like antifreeze) so from personal experience...maybe check your oil cooler hoses.
I had a similar looking issue with a small hole in a cooler hose and that was the culprit. When driving and up to pressure, it would spray like that.

Just a thought...

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
1966 series V mostly factory stock

I believe I have a water pump issue but I would like some help in confirming my suspicions.

Andrew
Sandy, Oregon

Andrew,

Check the back side of the fan and crank pulleys for a similar residue. It's not a definitive test but might help. The crank pulley will almost certainly be wet with an oily film. The back of the fan/water pump pulley would probably be wet right after a drive if the seal is starting to leak. It might not be wet if it has been sitting a while. The streak on the bonnet would be a challenge for the crank pulley because the WP is in the way, unless the fan belt is transporting oil from the crank.

Hope this helps,

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
What sort of crankcase ventilation are you using? Factory setup or something else? It could be that pressure is building in the motor and your front seal is blowing out oil.

Acollin

Donation Time
Thanks for the replies, but I was hoping to hear “yah,,its your water pump”.

i did not have a lot of time today, but did head to the shop for another look around and cleaned the residue off the bonnet. I could not see the backside of the pulley, but I stuck my hand back there and it was very dry and rust dusty. Oil cooling lines look good and , frankly, to create that pattern would be a real stretch. I assume my crankcase ventilation is factory— clearly nothing added.
For me , the arc of the stain is the clue. Whatever threw whatever it is, threw it in a predictable pattern. I should be able to do some tinkering tomorrow and report back if I find anything.

Thanks again!!!

Acollin

Donation Time
I think I found the source of the stain. A weeping bottom radiator hose. One picture shows a dark moist area on ( I think) the timing chain cover. The other picture shows a “dribble” down the bottom radiator hose. When driving a few miles the pressure probably builds and the leaks is stronger or at least is sustained.
I am pretty confident this is the reason for the staining, but I truly value your thinking.
Question: Is this a shaped / molded hose that I need to buy from a Sunbeam parts supplier or will a napa hose fix me up?
Coolant recommendation?

I was about to change out my thermostat— got a twofer on the coolant draining.
Let me know what you see and what you think!!!!!
Be well all
Andrew

Attachments

• 3A60F2F0-B3FD-444F-BC33-BEA45D1456BB.jpeg
    3A60F2F0-B3FD-444F-BC33-BEA45D1456BB.jpeg
    376.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 2E52DDC1-D2D4-4DEB-B228-2688358A4488.jpeg
    2E52DDC1-D2D4-4DEB-B228-2688358A4488.jpeg
    326 KB · Views: 24

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Do you see a path from that lower radiator hose to something rotating (i.e. the fan / pulley) and a clear shot at hitting the washer bag? The earlier pictures you posted look like motor oil, not coolant. I'm not saying you don't have a coolant leak at that radiator hose, but it seems likely that it is a separate issue.

The lower radiator hose has different diameter openings on each end. Sunbeam Specialties & Classic Sunbeam sell the lower radiator hose. There are other sources, too.

Mike

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
Do you see a path from that lower radiator hose to something rotating (i.e. the fan / pulley) and a clear shot at hitting the washer bag? The earlier pictures you posted look like motor oil, not coolant. I'm not saying you don't have a coolant leak at that radiator hose, but it seems likely that it is a separate issue.

The lower radiator hose has different diameter openings on each end. Sunbeam Specialties & Classic Sunbeam sell the lower radiator hose. There are other sources, too.

Mike
When my oil cooler line opened up, it wasn’t in the exact position it was supposed to be, unbeknownst to me at the time, and the pulley got into the top of it and cut a small gash into it. It caused basically what is pictured above. It is now corrected…

Acollin

Donation Time
I believe there is a clear path to a pulley. After cleaning the bonnet spray, it reappeared when I discovered the evidence in the picture I posted—-Faintly but undeniable. Not motor oil — texture and smell are not right. Also, not sure if this makes a difference but I could not see the staining while the car was cooler and idled in the shop. It was only after I achieved an operating temperature, did the staining become obvious.
At this point, the prudent path seems to me to replace the hose and check again. No matter what , the hose issue needs attention. Everything to gain and nothing to lose by replacing the hose.
Not sure how long it will take to get the hose— I will post again when I know more.
Thanks all
Andrew