• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

i need a title for my 67 sunbeam alpine

briggie

Donation Time
i need a title and tags for my 67 alpine,,i bought this from a storage building and want to restore it but i cannot get a title,, because the guy who had it is serving life in jail

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I am no expert in such matters, but it would seem to me that the owner of the storage facility would have needed to perform a mechanics lien on the goods in storage prior to its sale.

Without that lien, I would imagine that you will have difficulty proving legal ownership of the car.

skywords

Donation Time
I would think you can file for an abandon title. How long has it sat in your yard? :D

I have basically the same problem with two of my cars. I had titles to them but when I drove my series II to the DMV to get them titled in my name they told me they had to be drivable and inspected before I could get them titled so with tears in my eyes I headed home with the old titles in a fed ex envelope under the passenger seat. When I got home they were gone. :mad: Oh did I mention the top was down.

saltykracker

Donation Time
There are some states that will issue a title with just a letter from your mom. Not sure which ones but I'm sure someone on the site Knows.;)

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
I got titles to vehicles.
Here in Ohio, one needs two good documents. One is a notarized bill of sale and the second is an out-of-State vehicle inspection (performed at a car dealership). Each title agency might act differently too. If you have some trouble at one, go to the other.
Jan

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
I'm a member of the Arizona Self Storage Association and just attended a seminar which discussed this very issue. Go online and find the Self Storage association in Pennsylvania and contact them. They can provide some direction as this is not uncommon in that industry. Here in Arizona, assuming the property owner was in compliance with state law, obtaining a title should be easy.

You may begin your search here. www.minico.com or www.ministoragemessenger.com

Alpine Bob

Donation Time
Bring it down to Georgia, if it's over 25 years old you don't need a title. To get it registered all you need is a bill of sale and you get the registration and a set of tags, and you're set to go. Then take it to PA with a GA registration and valid tags you got it.

briggie

Donation Time
all the ideas sound good,, but PA dmv is real jerks,, in pa i have to have a title and both people have to be present with there drivers lincence to transfer,,the storage place was to get me one then they didnt either,, i cant drive the car yet it needs restored but i dont want to retore it till i can get a title,, i am going to check on an abandoned title may be the way to go,,if not i am looking for a junk 67 with sal tags and title and i can change them

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
I don't suppose there was any registration in the Alpine's glove box?

I just went through a no title scenerio but fortunately there was a registration from CT. They don't require a title on cars older than a certain age. So, with the registration I was able to download the Q-1 bill of sale from CT and filled it out.

At first I was told that you needed the title at the RMV... so I went back home and downloaded both CT's and MA's details regarding titles on older cars. Went to another RMV station showed them the documents and downloaded information and no problems.

Did you check this PA document?

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/fact_sheets/fs-ware.pdf

I went through a similar proceedure in Kentucky... since I had "already" bought the car the published sales notice I placed was just a formality to make it a public notice. I may have even sent the registered letters... it was a while back. I have to believe the storage facility actually advertised the sale and provided notifications - in order just to make the sale legal. It will take some leg work and meetings with the self-storage owner but it seems like it can be done. It will just take time.

Steve

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
There are also title services out there, just do a search as their names escaoe me right now, but for $75.00 - $100.00 they will register the car for you in another state and transfer it to your state so you get a clear title in your name. Then it's just a matter of insuring and registering your car.
I did this once with a motorcycle that was left abandoned behind a building. Cost something around $100, but within a week or so I had a clear title in my name in my hands!
Hope that helps!
Cheers!
Steve

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Sounds just a bit shaky. :eek:

Several years ago, my brother-in-law bought a '69 Mustang rag top in GA. Got it registered in AL with the GA bill of sale. After putting about $2500 into the car, the FBI show up to retreive the stolen Mustang. Luckily he was able to return many of the replacement parts he bought.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hey, That's the guys I used!! Thanks George!
And by the way, they are perfectly legit.
Cheers!
Steve

jmthehermit

Donation Time
Briggie I just went through a simple title transfer yesterday. Since my son turned 18, I wanted to get the car titled under his name. Even with a valid title, two sheets of info were required to send to the state along with copies of both our drivers licenses, front and back. All this just between family members. Most items and vehicles from emptied storage units near me are considered worth only the amount that is owed for the rented space. Any amount offered for the item that comes close to what is owed, will be accepted. They rent empty space and that's it. They are not a car dealer and they have no obligation to help provide titles to cars. If you want a title it will be at your expense and leg work, not theirs. I don't think anyone who has had their vehicle sold off for not paying a bill will gladly do a title transfer to help the new owner. You could go with buying another title and VIN plates and switch them out and go through the process. But remember, altering or changing VIN numbers is a crime. And is the person you buy a title off of ready to stand next to you when you go to get a title? Jeff

bluoval

Donation Time
title

Contact your State Division of motor veh. every State has provisions for situations like yours. It may seem complicated but they will help you thru the mess. If the car was recoverd as a result of non payment you should have a court order indicating that. It may also be necessary to have a police officer inspect the car to verrify the vin no. remember the big trouble Boyd Codington got onto for doing the puuchase of title thing. In the long run you will be better off doing it the right way the first time. Earl bluoval