• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

hubs for series 2 needed

nomad181

Donation Time
I need a new hub for my series 2 Alpine, drivers rear and possibly front. Rear is spun.
Any ideas for good used parts, or less expensive new ones?
Thanks

mikephillips

Donation Time
The front hubs are the same as the later series and the rears are the same as the 3 and IV's so you can use them as well. But make sure you get the early rear and not the series V, measure across the axle hole in the back of the one you have now and make sure it's the same on what you buy.
Now, that being said check any used hub carefully. If the splines are sharp as you run your finger gently across them, and/or if they're bend when you look at them from the end then in my personal opinion the hub is too worn for safe use. And check the condition of the splines in the wheel that came off the bad hubs, likely they're in the same condition since they wear as a pair. You probably need to replace both.
To me the best option is to always replace them as a pair with new items. More expensive, yep. But doing otherwise can be a false economy since mixing new/used or used/used from different sources can cause accelerated wear in the 2 since the existing wear patterns will not match and they won't transfer the push/ull load between then the way they're designed to.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Why would the axle shaft be ruined?

If it spun, the key in the keyway has royally buggered the taper on the axle, plus the fact that prior to the key shearing, the keyway was stretched and out of shape anyhow.

Ive seen what the axles look like prior to shearing (with a Z shaped key), and the axle was ruined a long time before it sheared.

mikephillips

Donation Time
We need to determine what type hubs. I was assuming wire wheel hubs since the request was for a rear and maybe front, so I was thinking spun on the splines. You're assuming spun the hub on the axle, which also might be correct, but none of us know for sure what type and damage is being discussed.

agmason54

Donation Time
hubs for series 2

Nomad
Did you spin a rear wire wheel on the hub or did you spin a hub on the axle? I'm guessing you are describing wire wheels. If the rear wire wheel spun on the hub then your axle and keyway should be OK.If not then you need a new axle and hub whether it's a wire or steel wheel rear hub.I have front & rear wire wheels hubs with good splines and rear axles already removed waiting for you.
Agm

nomad181

Donation Time
Nomad
Did you spin a rear wire wheel on the hub or did you spin a hub on the axle? I'm guessing you are describing wire wheels. If the rear wire wheel spun on the hub then your axle and keyway should be OK.If not then you need a new axle and hub whether it's a wire or steel wheel rear hub.I have front & rear wire wheels hubs with good splines and rear axles already removed waiting for you.
Agm
Splines.
Just checked front and seem OK.
Rear splines are rounded off.
How much for a hub replacement and what other parts do I need to order from someone like Vivtoria British.
Thank you for your help.
Frank
432-416-6881