• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

How to make a car bumper

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
The star is a 1951 Hillman Minx.

Interesting video in that you see part of the process leading to a final product.

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
Interesting. The good ole days when there were human beings in the assembly lines. I will never under appreciate a bumper or a tool and die maker.

Rick

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
One of the interesting factoids I picked up while enforcing water regs is that the coating of chromium is incredibly thin, something like 20-40 microns. The chrome is thick enough to put a shine on the nickle, but thin enough to be transparent. When you look at a shiny bumper, you are seeing nickle, not chrome. An even more interesting fact: I've found virtually no one who will believe me.

Bill

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
An analogy I like is that copper is the primer, nickle is the basecoat and chrome is the clearcoat.

studmobile

Diamond Level Sponsor
Most likely that was done at Wilmot Breeden, who made most chromed steel bumpers in British cars for decades. They also made much of the stamped components like window winders, door and trunk latches, and much of the bright work on our cars. Sadly, they were offered the patent for colored non metal bumpers, basically for free, and they passed on it. Did not think there was a future in it. Bought out by Rockwell in 1979 and broken up. David

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
One of the interesting factoids I picked up while enforcing water regs is that the coating of chromium is incredibly thin, something like 20-40 microns. The chrome is thick enough to put a shine on the nickle, but thin enough to be transparent. When you look at a shiny bumper, you are seeing nickle, not chrome. An even more interesting fact: I've found virtually no one who will believe me.

Bill

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
I worked for a body shop years ago and as an auto adjuster so I was in and out of shops all day. One shop Had an old man who explained how caroming worked I checked out the chemistry and you are correct!