• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

How many miles do you get on a fill-up?

NorCal

Silver Level Sponsor
My gas gauge doesn’t work, but my speedometer is pretty accurate. Curios to know how many miles do you get on a full tank(s)?

nsbluenose

Silver Level Sponsor
My Singer with 1966 Alpine driveline; stock 1725 except for Weber 32/36, non-overdrive transmission gives about 310-320 miles per tank full, 45 litre tank or 10 imperial gallons. That is steady highway driving at 60-65 mph. City driving gives less, but I have never attempted an accurate measurement of that.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Depends on the fill up. I find almost every fill up fills the tank to a different level. That is with a car with fender tanks. Other than that, my experience is meaningless to you due to the non stock nature of the car.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I once had a 71 Ford Bronco, with much the same engine that I am putting in my Alger project. That truck had two tanks as well, but they were only a 5 and an 8 gallon tank. I was not able to drive by many gas stations without having to stop and fill up. Since the alpine is lighter, I am hoping for slightly increased range.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
My Singer with 1966 Alpine driveline; stock 1725 except for Weber 32/36, non-overdrive transmission gives about 310-320 miles per tank full, 45 litre tank or 10 imperial gallons. That is steady highway driving at 60-65 mph. City driving gives less, but I have never attempted an accurate measurement of that.

Converting IMP. gallons to US gallons, would be around 26 MPG in the US. Maybe a bit more, depending on how close to dry nsbluenose's tank is normally when refilled.

nsbluenose

Silver Level Sponsor
That is correct, about 26 miles per US gallon. At highway driving. Fill up would be 11.9 US gallons, if allowed to run dry.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Converting IMP. gallons to US gallons...

Not to hijack this thread, but since NorCal has his answer, I thought I'd share this story re: IMP/US gallons. I always knew their gallons were more, but didn't know why. I asked an English friend about this when I first moved to England in 1995.

ME: "How many quarts in a gallon?"
HIM: "Four."
ME: "Same as us. Hmm. How many pints in a quart?"
HIM: "Two."
ME: "Same again. Hmm. How many cups in a pint?"
HIM: "What is a cup?"
ME: "OK. Skip that. How many ounces in a pint?"
HIM: "20."
ME: "Ah ha!"​

Besides explaining the difference between Imperial and US gallons, it also explained why I felt very different after a pint in England than in the US!