• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

How far gone is too far gone?

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I have just purchased a SV parts car. It is pretty shot, but almost 100% complete and has some great parts I need/want for my SIV V6 project. My original intent was to take what I want, part out the rest, then junk the rusty remains. But, here’s the dilemma: the car itself may be salvageable and may be worth saving from the crusher.

It is a very late SV (B395017894), with the original engine (supposedly ran when last parked a few years ago), non-peaked rims (sorry, those are some of the parts I want) and the hybrid early/late bumpers (I probably want those too, as they are very straight and worth having re-chromed). I have a clean title for it and it appears as though the same person has owned it since 1974. (I bought it from a middle man.)

I’ve posted pictures of the car at http://www1.snapfish.com/share/p=832111184157993635/l=282007314/g=61458443/otsc=SYE/otsi=SALB. Chief among its many bad points is the extensive rust. The trunk is more gone then there. The driver’s floor is completely shot; someone might be able to salvage some of the passenger floor, but I’d guess that is also beyond repair. The driver side rocker panel and the lower part of the front fender have been removed (it came with replacement panels that I believe were purchased from VB). The inner panel is there, but should be replaced too. The other rocker is also shot and the lower front fender is so rusty that it is no longer attached to the car.

The interior, although complete, is also shot. The chrome is all there, and ‘ok’, but not great. The driver’s seat is now just a frame, which I think has been welded and repainted. Passenger seat needs new foam and vinyl, but I believe the frame and mechanism are ok. Among the good points are the doors, boot lid and bonnet, which all seem to be in surprisingly good condition with very little rust. The wire wheels look good, although I haven't removed them yet to check on the condition of the splines or the hubs. The convertible frame looks very good and I will probably keep that for the SIV, too. It has a Moto Lita steering wheel that belongs on an older car (off to eBay no matter what) and the adjustable hub, plus a terrific set of rear lights. Both of these will go to the SIV.

Now, here’s my dilemma: based on the extensive body rust I expected to find a rusty frame underneath. However, at first look, it’s not really too bad. I haven’t spent much time under it yet, but while I think it will need some work, it appears to be repairable. I emphasize “appears†because the door gaps are slightly less at the top than at the bottom. That might be due to the frame sagging, or it might just be misalignment. I’ve posted lots of underneath pictures on the Snapfish site.

Among the parts I wanted for the SIV are the front and rear valences. Despite all of the other rust, those appear to be salvageable. I may also take part of the right rear quarter panel to repair the panel on my SIV. Of course at that point, the car is truly junk and ready for the scrap heap.

So, I am left with several options, and I would like opinions from those more knowledgeable than me.

1. If it looks like it is too far gone to save, then my life is easier. I’ll remove everything of value, take orders on parts to bring to the Invasion, put other stuff on eBay and take what’s left to the junk yard. My expectation is that this option gives me what I want and probably returns my original investment of $1000, which was my goal from the start.
  2. If it is salvageable and anyone here wants it, I am very open to discussing it and could even be persuaded to bring it with me to the Invasion. I will be judicious about what I take from it in this case.
  3. If it is salvageable and no one here wants it, then I will probably take everything I want, everything worth selling independently (e.g., brake booster) and try to sell the shell with the engine on eBay. If there is no interest there, see Option 1.
Comments will be much appreciated. Financially, I am sure I am better off completely parting it out, but my conscience won’t allow me to do that if it can be saved and anyone wants to tackle it.

Jeff Scoville

Donation Time
This is the same problem I face with a few of these in the past.
I would love nothing more than to "Save them all!"
Reality must prevail though.
Is it salvageable? Anything is.
Is it worth it? Probably not.
I really need to post a link to the "69 Firebird convert I am just starting on for a customer. At most I will be saving the center section of the firewall and the innermost rear bulkhead panels that the top connects to, the rest is swiss cheese.
Is this car worth saving? Not in my opinion.
The customer is willing to pay. I change my mind!
Then again, maybe someone will get hoild of you and want to save it minus the bits you desire, let fate be your guide.

I thought you were possibly flying to the Invasion?

AlpineII

Donation Time
Got a similiar "parts car" myself with all mathcing serial numbers and original O/D and radio. Doors, hood, trunk, windshield and interior were all great, the sills, floor and fenders are more gone than there. Been stripping parts off it for three years and am very reluctant to send it to the crusher but.....

jmthehermit

Donation Time
Hi Jim, I would just strip it. The pieces you want/need to keep for you project justify the purchase of the car. You have a lot of decent pieces left to sell. The transmission, complete front suspension, the guages and even the rear view mirror are all wanted items. The rear end, wheels and engine are also valuable even it they were used for rebuildable cores. Also, does it have the little black knobs on the ends of the heater/windscreen controls? Those little buggers alone are very difficult to find.
As for the salvaging the car, there are better cars still on the road that would take far less to save for posterity. Hey, I sold you some parts to clean out my garage and a few months later I wind up with a whole car! Just have people send you a wish list of parts they need and watch the car disappear! cheers, Jeff

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Jim-bring it to the Invasion, part it out there and then watch how fast the car disappears! Eric

S

Steve Kirk

I would say this car is too far gone to be worth restoring. If I was looking for a car to restore I would look for one with better bodywork. This car does have some very good parts.

Nickodell

Donation Time
Advertise the bits you don't want on ebaY. With the crazy prices some of the stuff is going for these days, you'd probably make $2,000.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Jim,

There is a sentiment in most of us that doesn't want anything to die. The practical side to it, is that it would cost WAY too much to restore it, when there are plenty of other Alpines with a whole lot more potential that are waiting to be restored. The parts from this Alpine will go on living on another Alpine, so will not disappear all together. Just think that it gave it's life to save another Alpine, so was not a total loss.

Jose :)

alpine_64

Donation Time
Hey Jim,

Can i have the boot floor? You should be able to fit it in a standard size envelope from the pics.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks everyone, for easing my conscience. The car will be parted out. I actually thought about towing the car to the Invasion. Having a parting out party sounds like fun, but then I wouldn't have a Sunbeam to drive there. I will more likely throw big, pre-sold stuff in my truck and tow my running SV.

Which means I have lots of stuff for sale! Anyone want an engine? Door? Transmission? Hood? I want to hold on to the rear end, at least until I learn what has been done to it. The car came with an extra pumpkin; apparently the PO had new gears or something put it in before selling it. I want to see what is there before I decide what to do with it. I don't think I will have time to completely strip it by the Invasion, so the front and rear ends + wheels and hubs will probably have to go last.

I'll put something on the For Sale section shortly. I also want to get rid of some of my SII stuff, since that is now taking up valuable garage real estate. But in the meantime, if there is something in particular you need (other than the non peaked rims ;) ), let me know.

p.s. Michael, you can have the entire trunk floor and a rocker panel. I can probably get everything into an overnight Fed Ex package.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
BTW: One interesting fact about this car. While it has the original engine, it also has an older style head (the one with the spark plug tubes). It certainly could have been replaced at some point in the past, but I know Rootes was using lots of parts bin stuff on the last cars. Is it possible they also put an old style head on it?

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Interesting. The car also came with a set of standard main bearings, leading me to wonder if this engine has ever been rebuilt. I have the original (or at least, last real) owner's name. I am going to try to contact him and see what I can learn about the car's history.

the ghoul

Donation Time
that car is not that bad rust wise....
yes your going to spend more in replacement metal than your orrigonal investment, and yes cleaner series v's are plentifull, but I wouldnt start cutting on that shell right away. keep it a roller and post it up for sale. cances are some one has got one of these rotting away in there back yard and just needs a good shell.
geeze,
im even thinking about it, I still have most of my series v car kicking around... might make a good track car (with some fiberglass work!!)

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
In the year since I posted this message and the pictures I have pretty much completely stripped the car. It is now just a rolling shell, but still has the doors, front and rear suspension and steering attached. Most of the parts, including the engine and transmission, are in my garage. I would consider selling it, but would then need to figure what to do about the things my SIV needs, which is why I originally bought it. The main thing I need is the rear valence, as the one of the SIV is trashed. The body guy who is going to do the work on the SIV (someday, hopefully) is also thinking about cutting out the left rear quarter with the valence, as the SIV one has had multiple repairs and the metal is stretched. As rusty as the SV is, those parts are in pretty good shape. (The doors aren't too bad ,either.) And then there is the front suspension, which I might need for my S3.

Still, if you are serious, drop me a line and we can discuss it.

the ghoul

Donation Time
ahh, I forgot that you mentioned that... sorry.
no im not all that serrious I was just pointing out that its not all that far gone and that it would make a good dooner body for someone (again forgetting that you bought it for sheet metal).
In the year since I posted this message and the pictures I have pretty much completely stripped the car. It is now just a rolling shell, but still has the doors, front and rear suspension and steering attached. Most of the parts, including the engine and transmission, are in my garage. I would consider selling it, but would then need to figure what to do about the things my SIV needs, which is why I originally bought it. The main thing I need is the rear valence, as the one of the SIV is trashed. The body guy who is going to do the work on the SIV (someday, hopefully) is also thinking about cutting out the left rear quarter with the valence, as the SIV one has had multiple repairs and the metal is stretched. As rusty as the SV is, those parts are in pretty good shape. (The doors aren't too bad ,either.) And then there is the front suspension, which I might need for my S3.

Still, if you are serious, drop me a line and we can discuss it.