• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Hot start problem

jerseyjoe

Donation Time
I took the car out for it's first trip since I got it on the road. I ran wonderful and the temp stayed slightly above the middle on the gauge. I was pretty hot out side. The problem came when I shut it off. It would not start up again. I tried starting fluid..nothing. In a 1/2 hr it did start and went on my way. Sounds like a classic vapor lock.
Has anyone else had this happen to them and what did they do? I see the fuel line running across the top of the motor and I will be insulating that from the heat but what else have you done?

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
You don't mention what series car, engine size or what carbs you're running.
The fuel line shouldn't run across the top of the engine.

At first glance, it does sound like vapor lock but it might be something else.
A good picture of your engine bat showing the carb and fuel line would be a big help.

Cheers!
Steve

jerseyjoe

Donation Time
Thank you...it is a 1965 series iv , stock engine with a weber conversion. The rubber fuel line runs next to the water thermostat housing. I didn't do it but I think it can't be good

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
OK, I had a Series IV for 32 years (can't be!?) I ran a fuel line, metal usually, from the fuel pump
up through the opening of the thermostat housing. If you look under the housing, there is a space
between the head and the housing. I generally frown on using rubber lines as they can deteriorate
and cause problems and not even look bad to the eye. I usually bend a piece of cupro-nickel
tubing that will run through there up from the fuel pump and attach that to the pump and the carb
with small pieces of rubber fuel line. Easily replaced and gives a little vibration protection to the metal
fuel line.

You mentioned a Weber, what manifold are you using?

Do you have a fuel filter, and more importantly, where is it located?