• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Horn Ring

New beam

Donation Time
Need a horn ring for a Series 5 I just got
Doesn't have to be perfect
Price more important than condition
Im in SO Cal
Thanks

alpine_64

Donation Time
Most originals are broken r will break due to heavy handed users.

Sunbeam Specialties sells a repro that is stronger and looks the part.. its not 100% factory.. but is the best we can get and only about $100IIRC.

65beam

Donation Time
ring

when you get another horn ring adjust the brass ring down so it almost touches. that prevents the horn ring being broken from having to move it a lot to make contact. there is an old tech tip somewhere in the te/ae site that gives the details of how to adjust the ring.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Good luck finding a late Series horn ring. Lots of early ones floating around, but they won't work on the late steering wheels.

This is a situation when you will find the repro's to be more desirable than O.E. They don't break as readily and will certainly be cheaper. Might luck out and find a used repro, but there does not seem to be many of them floating around.

Bill

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
New Beam,
I am also looking for one. Sold two of them, one in the box withing the last 3 years, now I need one. They are plentiful out there. 45,000 Series 3-5 plus Tigers in the bone yards = lots of parts. Just be patient and one will come along. I have my eye on a couple of parts cars, if the owners will let them go, I can set us both straight. :D

Paul

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Let us know when you find one. I'm curious how long that might take. There are very few Alpines in bone yards. When I purchased Rusty, I called the local (Indianapolis) area imported car boneyard. He said he hadn't seen one in over ten years. That was in 1996.

Bill

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
"Bone Yard" being the term for a state of desrepair, abandonded, back yard lawn art, and even in a salvage yard.
Having my first cup of Sanka for the day. Thats a universal for "Decaf". ;)

P

Let us know when you find one. I'm curious how long that might take. There are very few Alpines in bone yards. When I purchased Rusty, I called the local (Indianapolis) area imported car boneyard. He said he hadn't seen one in over ten years. That was in 1996.

Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
"Bone Yard" being the term for a state of desrepair, abandonded, back yard lawn art, and even in a salvage yard.
Having my first cup of Sanka for the day. Thats a universal for "Decaf". ;)

P

Around here, the universal for "Decaf" is "Unleaded". Haven't heard the term "Sanka" for years. I doubt the younger coffee drinking crowd even knows what Sanka is. Sort of like late Series O.E. horn rings.

Bill

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
Young and nieve.......but they like thier Starbucks and will only settle for the original article, without knowing anything about what came before them. :p

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Tony,

I know that $100 seems high, but if you don´t guy it now, you´ll end up paying more for it later. Finding a stock one that isn´t already broken, is virtually nill. It will never get any cheaper than now.

Jose

Thanks Paul
I am no hurry so will keep looking as I am not going to pay $100
Regards
Tony

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
There might have been a lot of the horn ring made but I suggest you look at all the car pictured on the forum and on Ebay/craigslist that do not have a horn ring.

Ever wonder why? Or have you paid any attention to the details?

They break! For various reasons. I have four cars of which "None" have a horn ring complete (I did not break them. PO's must have done that) .

The cost of $100.00 has caused me to delay getting what I need because there are more pressing needs. The day is coming when I will have to purchase them. (unless the good fairy gives the to me).

And as Jose posted"they are not getting any cheaper.

Last edited:

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Heck, there's two, one comes with a bonus steering wheel. Hens teeth!

The wheel and horn ring went for over $600. The ring is at $110 + shipping. Searching "completed listings" revealed no other offerings, going back to November of last year.

Yep, hen's teeth!

Bill

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
Talked to a guy yesterday with 8 of them. Not wanting to sell. This is the problem, people with dozens and dozens stashed, afraid to sell.

Again, no such thing as a rare part. Only hard to buy.

Here in Kansas City, it's so cold we're burning those wood wheels to stay warm. Kind of nice because the steel rings gives off residual heat for another 15 minutes! :D
Not to mention those egg crate grills......they don't call them grills for nothing!

Last edited:

agmason54

Donation Time
horn rings

Beamers
I offered two for sale recently for way less than $202+S&H....Still have em.
The wood steering wheel with horn ring went for $430+S&H.
I find it hard to believe someone with eight would not sell one.Maybe he felt you wanted it for nothing....
Years ago a Tiger owner came down to see me and bent my ear about how his car was worth twenty grand but whined like a little girl when l told him l wanted one hundred dollars for a hood*
What does one expect to pay for a fifty year old rare part on an obsolete car? .......

Agm

*Tiger guy got run off...