• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

hooking the T-5 to a stock speedo?

Firebuff

Donation Time
Trying to get the '98 T-5 hooked to the speedo.. figured I could at least really tell the officer how fast I was going.. was told there is an adapter? Any clue as to what it is..Also.. anything special to getting the RPM gauge hooked up as well?

crs

Gold Level Sponsor
yes there is an adapter and some of us have done this. If Kelly or someone else does not give you the info soon, I will dig into my files and tell you specifics on what I did.
Now must finish unpacking from trip and do some office work.

kmathis

Donation Time
Hi,
The 55RA adapter at the website below...I believe I used a 28% reduction because I have a 3.70:1 rear axle. You can have a local speedometer shop put the proper screw on end (GM) on the stock speedo cable. You may need to cut or indent the tunnel for clearance.
So if you have a Smiths stock speedometer, it turns 1020 per mile, so, there are 5280 ft in a mile, so if you measure out 50 feet ( accurately) and move your car exactly 50 ft, the speedo cable should turn 9.65 times to be spot on accurate. If it turns more, you will need to slow it down, if it turns less you will need to speed it up. so get the ratio adapter that is closest to the amount of error, and you can change gears to dial it in.:)
The adapter is about $90 bucks, and the gears you can get at your local Ford dealer for about 5 buck each, on this site, they are about 15 bucks each.

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/speedometer_calibration_______va.htm#Ford_Manual

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
If the local Ford dealership delivers the right part tomorrow AM, the cost is $49.00 for the mechanical cable adapter. Probably too good to be true.

I am using the 3.8, T5, 3.89 rear gear and the tire height is 24" and a Series V speedometer. Does this call for a reduction gear?

kmathis

Donation Time
The part that I left out earlier is the fact that I had a ford end put on my stock speedo cable, so that is how I knew how many turns I had in 50'; without that, the calculations of 7 teeth on the output shaft, how many gear teeth, etc...and then the adapter with the GM cable end.
where is my calculator?:rolleyes:

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Not having been down this road before I am not clear on the process or terminology.
On which end of the cable did you have the "ford end" installed? The part I have ordered is on the trans end of the cable and going directly into the output
shaft. I have an adapter [ 7/8ths to 5/8ths ] to connect the cable to the driven gear assembly. The gauge end is 5/8ths of course.
So the issue is to get the right driven gear, 18,21, etc to obtain a fairly accurate speedo reading ??

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Doug,

If you don´t change the tail shaft gear, you´ll need the 21 tooth driven gear, but you´ll still be reading about 10% fast, which is better than reading the other way around. If it were to read slow, you could easily be speeding asnd not be aware, while if it reads fast, it will keep you more allert to how fast you are going.

The end you ordered is the correct end. You´ll need to have a speedo shop swedge it on for you and also swedge down the cable end so it will fit the smaller Ford gear.

Jose

Not having been down this road before I am not clear on the process or terminology.
On which end of the cable did you have the "ford end" installed? The part I have ordered is on the trans end of the cable and going directly into the output
shaft. I have an adapter [ 7/8ths to 5/8ths ] to connect the cable to the driven gear assembly. The gauge end is 5/8ths of course.
So the issue is to get the right driven gear, 18,21, etc to obtain a fairly accurate speedo reading ??