• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Hood venting

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Any ideas as to installing a small variable speed electric fan in line with the duct/vents?

sd_pace

Donation Time
ooh yea like a small bilge fan from a boat like about 3" .. thought once on it but didn't go any further

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Don't see any reason why not. Maybe small (6-10") pusher radiator style fans mounted on the inner fender?

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Maybe small (6-10")

Would that not be a bit large?

Remember it would need two! Well maybe not! Mount a fan somewhere that would be able to suck/draw hot air and force out the vents?

Just need room for mounting all that "stuff"... MAn-alive-just-look-at-the-cramped-space-NOW!

sd_pace

Donation Time
The bilge fan would fit in a 3" tube between the outer fender wall and engine compartment. The tube needs to be in there anyway to connect for air flow. a small 12volt tube and fan ...with a switch.....cool maybe I will draw it up, but its about air cfm movement

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Would that not be a bit large?

Remember it would need two! Well maybe not! Mount a fan somewhere that would be able to suck/draw hot air and force out the vents?

Just need room for mounting all that "stuff"... MAn-alive-just-look-at-the-cramped-space-NOW!

How big is the duct? How much air do you want to move?

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I don't understand the V6 airflow problem. That Volvo 240 fan blade will blow your hat off your head at 15 feet when spinning at water pump speed. Mine did fine, cooling the 2.3 Duratec with A/C while being slowed down by the viscous drive.

Seems to me the few hundred fpm of a small ventilating fan would not have much impact.

Bill

Last edited:

sd_pace

Donation Time
Bill I was unable to fit the volvo fan because I put a double pulley for the a/c. that left me only a 1/4 inch clearance between the mustang fan and radiator and a 1/4 inch to clear the belts. an electric fan was to thick also. I did put 2 8 inch fans in front of the condenser that helps with running temp, the problem is that on warm days the heat builds up in the engine compartment and wont vent down... the motor gets as hot as 240 in there..... on a hot day I just want to use the a/c. its better with the hood off though

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I do not have the heat problem... I am running the four blade mustang fan; double pulleys on the crank and water pump; a 3/8" spacer on the water pump (between the pulley and fan); have 3/4 clearance between the fan and radiator.

My radiator is copper, built in the stock frame, 3 tube, 17 fins per inch mounted straight up as the stock came.

My condenser sits in front of the radiator and has about 1" clearance between the two.

Installed 185 thermostat.

Very much the same as Steve's ....

Block the air around the horn holes and underneath the radiator along the crossmember frame.

Can't figure His heat problem?

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Steve, I seem to recall you may have mounted your Condenser at an angle? Bottom more to the front & top closer to the radiator ? If so, could that have any effect on the air flow?

sd_pace

Donation Time
Dan it was in the beginning, but have straightened it since, with 1" in front of the radiator, thermostat is a 170 and the electric fans come on 205 and off at 185 on a cool day under 80 it will run all day with no problem at all, over 90 and it climes in a linear fashion unable to cool at any speed ... it has not over heated to blow out though, just hot