• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

History Lesson Please

ChrisR

Donation Time
As far as I can see, we have 2 main clubs. The SAOCA and TEAE. The SAOCA seems to have the most active forum. I am informed that there will soon be a Canadian chapter of TEAE. (I am in Canada). Up to now I am a member here ( need to renew). I may end up joining TEAE too. I am sure that is the case for many of you.
How is it there are 2 clubs dedicated to our marque? And what's. The difference between the two?
Thanks

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
ChrisR, I am fairly new to the Forums in both of the Clubs you refer to.

I am a member of both and enjoy the opportunity to have fellowship with many more as a result of varied members. Lots are also members of both and even some "other" Clubs too!

SAOCA has recently under the current President Jim Stone joined hands across the pond with SAOC UK for a better working relation and the sharing of our clubs resources. As a member in good standing ( Diamond and/or Platinum) you are entitled to access special edition of the SAOC's HORN.

65beam

Donation Time
There are other Rootes clubs in the states such as CAT ( California Association of Tigers), STOA (Sunbeam Tigers Owners ) , Pacific Northwest Tigers, Cato and others. The SAOCA was started by owners that were members of other clubs that wanted a club that centered around Alpines. There are many charter members of SAOCA like myself that are members of other clubs. Several of the SAOCA officers are members of other clubs. The big difference is that this forum is centered around Alpines.

Last edited:

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
I, like Bob and Dan, am a member of both as well as three other clubs and echo their sentiments.
The difference I find between the two clubs is while this club is web based and very active and although
you have the opportunity to interact with many different people, you don't often get the chance
to actually meet people. With TE/AE I personally know many of the "local" people (within a six state
radius ) .

Both clubs are great and provide a lot of support for our cars, but this club is the only one specific to Alpines!

Cheers!
Steve

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
How is it? Years ago, a lot of TE/AE members tended to think of Alpines as a ready source of replacement body parts for their Tigers. Ian thought the Alpine could stand on its own and created the SAOC, which soon allied itself with the boys from over the Pond and became the SAOCA. It seems that alliance did not work out well, but the concept is being given another try.

Bringing things up to date, TE/AE is much friendlier toward the Alpine and I think this will continue to improve as the Marque becomes more rare. We need survivors to keep the parts supply chain going. But the Alpines seem to always inhabit the last row at the Uniteds. Speaking of Uniteds, it is not unusual for the TE/AE United to have a 75-100 Tigers and Alpines to show up, while the SAOCA Invasion usually has fewer than 20. Recently, fewer than 10.

In order to gain attendance, we worked to turn the Invasion into a low expense, drive and experience the local attractions and culinary opportunity with a maximum of twelve cars. How many covered brides that carries water across a stream have you seen? In general, compliment, not compete against the United. That turned out to be not the key to success. The first years turnout was not good and we cancelled the second year. We think that is a shame, we had some terrific eats and drives planned.

Bill

65beam

Donation Time
How is it? Years ago, a lot of TE/AE members tended to think of Alpines as a ready source of replacement body parts for their Tigers. Ian thought the Alpine could stand on its own and created the SAOC, which soon allied itself with the boys from over the Pond and became the SAOCA. It seems that alliance did not work out well, but the concept is being given another try.

Bringing things up to date, TE/AE is much friendlier toward the Alpine and I think this will continue to improve as the Marque becomes more rare. We need survivors to keep the parts supply chain going. But the Alpines seem to always inhabit the last row at the Uniteds. Speaking of Uniteds, it is not unusual for the TE/AE United to have a 75-100 Tigers and Alpines to show up, while the SAOCA Invasion usually has fewer than 20. Recently, fewer than 10.

In order to gain attendance, we worked to turn the Invasion into a low expense, drive and experience the local attractions and culinary opportunity with a maximum of twelve cars. How many covered brides that carries water across a stream have you seen? In general, compliment, not compete against the United. That turned out to be not the key to success. The first years turnout was not good and we cancelled the second year. We think that is a shame, we had some terrific eats and drives planned.

Bill
Bill'
This year the Alpines were in the same row with Tigers next to the personalized Tigers. When you came in the gate Alpines were the first cars to be seen. There are many of us that have been attending Uniteds for a lot of years so they seem to be like a family reunion. This year was 35 years that Jean and I have attended Uniteds and all of the SUNIs. We've seen a lot of the U.S over that period of time. There are other TE/AE meets such as the BASH and the Crab Feast and several shows like Dayton where TE/AE have a strong presence. TE/AE is also making it a Rootes club, not just Alpines and Tigers. TE/AE and CAT do have a monthly news letter which is something that slipped away from this group several years ago. Since Ian and a couple other founders have dropped out of the picture ,as Bill mentioned Invasions and other get togethers have gone away. The forum is the only active part of SAOCA. Those are the facts.

Last edited:

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I was amazed to read some of this. One man's wreck is another man's parts car doesn't matter if it's a 4 door 57 Chevy or a Sunbeam. I having been gifted several multi decade collections of Tiger Tales and STOA Tiger Tracks.
CAT is more like a quarterly publication and for many years had a special Alpine section. Last Saturday 4 Alpines came to our meeting 2 V-6 cars and 2 mostly stock configured cars.

I found out a long time ago that car guys are generally inclusive. Of course the Alpine/Tiger fits in lots of places and in no particular order....
Ford, Chrysler, British, Shelby, and what did I leave out ? Well anyway I have dropped in on all the aforementioned clubs and received a warm welcome and no pressure to join whatsoever.
Anyway there's always the go big or go home crowd, the Euro deep pocket types , and the guys that build cars and the guys that buy cars, but you can say that almost all like to look at shiny things that are nicely put together.

65beam

Donation Time
I was amazed to read some of this. One man's wreck is another man's parts car doesn't matter if it's a 4 door 57 Chevy or a Sunbeam. I having been gifted several multi decade collections of Tiger Tales and STOA Tiger Tracks.
CAT is more like a quarterly publication and for many years had a special Alpine section. Last Saturday 4 Alpines came to our meeting 2 V-6 cars and 2 mostly stock configured cars.

I found out a long time ago that car guys are generally inclusive. Of course the Alpine/Tiger fits in lots of places and in no particular order....
Ford, Chrysler, British, Shelby, and what did I leave out ? Well anyway I have dropped in on all the aforementioned clubs and received a warm welcome and no pressure to join whatsoever.
Anyway there's always the go big or go home crowd, the Euro deep pocket types , and the guys that build cars and the guys that buy cars, but you can say that almost all like to look at shiny things that are nicely put together.

The Cat Tiger Tales I recently received is for September / October so lets say it's bi-monthly. TE/AE is monthly. In years past owners like Bill and others saw nice Alpines being parted to repair Tigers. Tigers have always sold for more than an Alpine. There's no pressure on anybody to join a particular club. There are good reasons for being members of various clubs. The original question was why two clubs instead of one. The facts of what is out there and how other clubs operate are what should be told. Based on that big picture he can make a decision that's the best for him.

ChrisR

Donation Time
Ok. That's my lesson. End result is I am now a member of the two.
Agree about car people getting more and more inclusive. There are only a couple of Sunbeams that I know of anywhere near to me, so I have hooked up a couple of drives with the MG/Triumph folks. All very welcoming.
Also often attend a Friday night cruise night with usually no more than 6 to 10 British cars and at least 50 ish big American. Again, we are made to feel very welcome.
Maybe when I get to stop working for a living, I will have enough time to attend an Invasion/United or other gathering.
Chris

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks for joining up to both clubs Chris. It will be great having a Canadian region for TE/AE as there are many active Sunbeam owners there and rumor has it that a United will be held there in the next few years! We have been to two Uniteds in Canada in the past and had a really good time. The best way to attend Uniteds and Invasions is to plan your work around them-you need a vacation every once in awhile! And once you go to one you will be hooked. Eric

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
We need to keep our history straight and clear in order to know who we are and how we got here. Personally, I am glad to see the attitude change at TE/AE. Non-believers should have been at Invasion I and seen the pissed off Tiger owners when they were told to park behind the Alpines. Sorry to see that it took the creation of the SAOCA and twenty years to make Ian's dream come true. Right now, I'd say that Ian's dream reality is very fragile. We need everyone's input to make it durable.

Bill

65beam

Donation Time
Thanks for joining up to both clubs Chris. It will be great having a Canadian region for TE/AE as there are many active Sunbeam owners there and rumor has it that a United will be held there in the next few years! We have been to two Uniteds in Canada in the past and had a really good time. The best way to attend Uniteds and Invasions is to plan your work around them-you need a vacation every once in awhile! And once you go to one you will be hooked. Eric
Eric's comment about vacation time is what we have done for years and I know many others that do the same. And don't forget to bring your better half if you have one.