• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Hints on removing nut after cotter pin breaks

mferris

Donation Time
I need hints on how to remove a bolt with a broken cotter pin that I can't seem to get to:

Link to picture: http://bit.ly/1GZQnZR

I managed to get 3 out of 4 tie rod ends removed and the last the cotter pin broke off and now I can't even turn it with an air rachet. I think I've removed enough of the pin to clear the nut - but I'm still unable to turn it. Given the angles - I'm unable to get something into the hole to try to push the pin through. I've let is soak in PBlaster - but haven't tried heat given proximity to fuel/etc.

What is typically done here. Get out the side grinder and hope I can just cut the nut off without cutting brake lines/etc. ?

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Is there not enough clearance to get large vise grips onto the nut? (I mean the large round portion of the nut.) Any option to file or saw a couple of the nut sides to then put a wrench onto it?

Mike

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Mike, may I assume you are replacing the tie end?
If so, try taking a sharp cold chisel and splitting the nut!

Difficult getting a good hit with a hammer but maybe an air hammer/chisel can split the nut.

mferris

Donation Time
Thanks Dan - that's helpful - google just led me to the nut splitter at Northern Tool for $12. I guess it's quicker for me to try the airhammer/chisel.

-M

mferris

Donation Time
Again - this forum is worth every dollar, and advice I've put into it. Cold chisel and 5 minutes of sliding through the side of the nut until it broke in two - and then unscrewed right off.

Are there any tips to tightening the tapered tie-rod end into the arm? I usually just bang up on the bottom of the tie-rod with a sledge until the tapered arm sets in the arm enough for me to tighten the nut. But sometimes the pin just starts turning as I attempt to tighten the (nyloc) nut. Makes life quite challenging.

-M

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Don't "bang" too hard on it!

Just keep pressure on the bottom and it takes a bit of patience sometimes more than I have.

Rootes 66

Donation Time
[Are there any tips to tightening the tapered tie-rod end into the arm? I usually just bang up on the bottom of the tie-rod with a sledge until the tapered arm sets in the arm enough for me to tighten the nut. But sometimes the pin just starts turning as I attempt to tighten the (nyloc) nut. Makes life quite challenging. /QUOTE]

If you run a standard nut up to pull the taper in then remove and run your nyloc nut up there is no need for a hammer at all

Pete

mferris

Donation Time
Geeze, thanks Pete. A standard nut first, then a nyloc - while I feel like an idiot - it's that type of knowledge that makes life go much easier once you are enlightened. Thanks!

-M