• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Help! Removing Differential from leaf springs..Pin!

Ktapply

Donation Time
I am restoring a 62 Series 2..... I am ready to remove the Rear end and I was planning to separate it from the leaf springs.... I removed the U-Bolts and bottom plate.. There is a pin that connects the bracket on the diff. Housing to the springs. It has a 7/16 nut on the bottom and a bushing of some sort that sits directly above it. The other end is a flared end. Of course when I try a d loosen the bottom nut the whole Assy just spins....any suggestions how to remove this. I realize I can leave he springs attached to the differential, but I was hoping to separate all of it to clean and polish before before reassembly... As always.. Your suggestions are welcome....

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Kevin,

The bolt you mention does not hold the rear end housing to the spring. It just holds the spring pack together. The U bolts and the bottom plate are what hold it in place. Just lift the rear end off of the springs and it will come off. If it is stuck, just use a large screw driver to pry it off. The rear end is pretty heavy with the differential, so taking it out between the springs and body will be fun. You should have help doing it, because it can be a job for just one man.

Jose

65beam

Donation Time
pin

an easier way to remove the rear end would be to put one u bolt and the flat plate on each side and then jack up the rearend. then remove the bolt holding the back of the spring to the hanger. lower the rear and remove the u bolt and slide the rear end out.

agmason54

Donation Time
When I pull a rear end I let it hang on the springs with jack stands just in front of the springs.It's a job for a man and boy but I've done several all by my lonesome.Push it one way to drop one side toward the center and then the other way to drop the other side toward the center and then it is on the ground. I have never unbolted a spring to remove a rear end.
Agm