• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Heavier Sway Bar for V6?

Mark T

Donation Time
Hi! My V6 SIV has a real tendancy to 'roll out' when cornering. Someone suggested that a heavier sway bar would help to correct that. Does that make sense and if so is there a heavier bar available? Thanks!

Pumpkin

Donation Time
sway bar

Hi! My V6 SIV has a real tendancy to 'roll out' when cornering. Someone suggested that a heavier sway bar would help to correct that. Does that make sense and if so is there a heavier bar available? Thanks!

Mark, go out and measure the bar with a caliper, most likly it is a 5/8" , if you can find a good looking """ NOT NEW"" those guys charge way too much. Most Piners will have a 7/8" laying around,I got mine for free, good price. But if you can find one for under 30.US you should be OK ,, Unless the guy was a racer. Then you don't need a sprung one.

It may be also tires, or shocks.
Chuck

Mark T

Donation Time
Will do! I eyeballed it with a tape measure and it looks like it's 3/4"!? I have a micrometer at my cottage so I'll find out the exact measurement this weekend. Thanks Chuck!

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Mark, are the bushes good? Also, do you have the soft rubber bushes or the harder plastic ones?

Bill

britbeam

Donation Time
Ok so you find a 7/8" sway bar. Where do you purchase the bushings to match? Do you go with rubber or poly? Poly has less give so a stiffer suspension but are there any negatives. How bout it Bill?
Dwain V6 Krazy

atallamcs

Donation Time
sway bar

Buy a new one with all the right components. Cutting corners will certainly not let you cut corners--with any control that is.
Bill

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Unless you intend on running slaloms or other competition on a regular basis, I would recommend not using them. The polyurethane bushings will make the Alpine ride like a buckboard. The Alpine already has a pretty stiff suspension as is. Adding a larger diameter sway bar, will make it stiffer than stock, so putting in hard plastic bushings only make it ride even harder. You might be able to have fun as you cut a corner, but the ride between corners will not be fun. If you have a wife that you want to go with you on rides, she won't appreciate it either.

Jose :)

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Dwain, I got my red Poly bushes from J.C. Whitney. They have a kit for installing roll bars of the proper diameter (can't remember the dia.). Need two kits. The bushes had to be modified slightly to fit in the Alpine bushing holders.

While the red Poly bushes are harder than rubber, they do have some give and are a popular choice for street use. As I remember from my internet search while in the market, they are about like going up one bar size. I hope to be able to give a seat of the pants evaluation this summer. They do not require any modification to the Alpine and can be swapped out if I don't like them.

Delrin bushes are very hard and most say should be for competition use only.

Bill

Mark T

Donation Time
Just got around to checking out the bushes and the diameter of the sway bar. The bushes are soft rubber and appear to be in fairly good shape. I used my micrometer and the sway bar is exactly 3/4" in diameter.
Mark, are the bushes good? Also, do you have the soft rubber bushes or the harder plastic ones?

Bill