• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Heater Valve

Stephen

Silver Level Sponsor
  • I was looking for a heater valve for a long time my 67 would not completely close then looking at a MOSS catalog for a MGC parts, I found this.
  • Perfect fit.
  • heat valve.jpeg

Stephen

Silver Level Sponsor
Dan you seem to agree, friend said he has it for 5 years no problems yet.
Maybe his lasted because he said his MGC had rebuilt engine and Radiator?

Stephen

alpine_64

Donation Time
Dan you seem to agree, friend said he has it for 5 years no problems yet.
Maybe his lasted because he said his MGC had rebuilt engine and Radiator?

Stephen
Nothing to do with his engine... There was manufacturing errors int he valves . MOSS actually replaced many of them and ended up having their suppliers retool. Not sure of the current status.

There are some that have bored out and made a threaded inserts for the neck so they don't fail and blow off the casting

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I have 2 or 3 of the later valves that show nicely. If someone has cut them apart it'd be nice to know if it's rubber or other failing seals inside.

Asm109

Donation Time
I bought one from Sunbeam Specialities over 10 years ago. Bought it as soon as I saw it in the catalog.
It was on the car for less than a year and the rubber dome on the sheet metal end, split wide open and dumped most of my coolant all over the engine compartment. Roadside repair by looping a heater hose back to the water pump and its been that way ever since. Not going to risk that failure again.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
If someone has cut them apart it'd be nice to know if it's rubber or other failing seals inside.
I have taken a few apart and you can't fix them. The problem is the rubber seal (looks like a diagram) that seals the small control rod. It splits and coolant blows out between the rod & round housing opening. My Tiger's original valve let go at a car show last year. I made a new one from scratch (all brass) of my own design using O-rings to seal it.
Jan

Shannon Boal

Platinum Level Sponsor
I bought a new design from Jerome of Alpine Innovations. I have been running with it for a year or two. It is brass, and you cannot blow through it (it shuts off the coolant completely). It is a good fit, and includes a bracket for my series V. I think I chose different screws for the bracket (hex head vs phillips?), but the supplied ones would work. I was told this unit is rebuildable, but do not see parts to do so. https://alpineinnovations.co.uk/products/heater-control-valve/

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I saw Shannon's "New" valve at the British Car Show in Columbia, SC last week. It looks like it is well made and appears to be more than adequate. Definite not original looking. But, I plan to purchase one.

P.S. While replacing a leaky one on Blue Boy a few weeks ago, I discovered a difference in some and of the designs - PULL to Close and PULL to Open.

Shannon Boal

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have taken a few apart and you can't fix them. The problem is the rubber seal (looks like a diagram) that seals the small control rod. It splits and coolant blows out between the rod & round housing opening. My Tiger's original valve let go at a car show last year. I made a new one from scratch (all brass) of my own design using O-rings to seal it.
Jan
Wow! Didja build a ball-cock valve?