• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Heater core install?

PaulK

Gold Level Sponsor
What is best used to cushion/seal the ends of the heater core when installing?
Original had strips of heavy felt loosely glued to the edges, rear, top and bottom.

Thanks
Paul

alpine_64

Donation Time
Paul original is jute felt, I'd be inclined to use a closed cell foam. Also is the core still true and not bulged? Make sure when finishing the car you don't put to high a pressure cap on... They will bulge the ends of the core. Some people fit banding or long cable ties the length of the core wrapping round to hold them from bulging out.

PaulK

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks Michael, mine are slightly bulged on the end but no leaks and no restrictions on flow.
I will find some closed cell foam for replacing the jute felt.

65beam

Donation Time
install

FYI, new heater cores are available. the ends have been changed by using ribs stamped in the ends to eliminate the bulging problem. SS has them in stock.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
I think closed cell foam is too soft and will let the heater core rattle around a bit. I used felt sold as weatherstripping.

Tom

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
Hi,

I just did this project last month. I had a leaky core that made a mess in the heater core "box". Rick had the drain but did not have the core in stock on July 23rd... said slow coming from England. I ended up getting mine fixed at a local radiator place. I used some felt weatherstripping from Home Depot... common stuff. I stitched it to double it up to get the same thickness as what was in there. I used a rubber band to hold the felt in place while finagling the core in, then snapped the rubber band to remove. I used "firm" foam for the part under the core and on the top of the heater control box. Everything seems tight. Hope it works.

Rick

Attachments

• P1080428r.jpg
    P1080428r.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 56
  • P1080447r.jpg
    P1080447r.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 56
  • P1080449r.jpg
    P1080449r.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 60

PaulK

Gold Level Sponsor
Best substitute yet.
Looks like a very good fix, I will check for some felt like that tomorrow..
Paul