• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Heat and noise.

chris

Donation Time
I was wounding if anyone has had problems with noise or heat in the passenger compartment after doing the V6 conversion. If so, is anyone using any kind of a sound or heat deadening materials?

Chris

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Chris,

Yes, and yes. The little V6 makes a lot of heat, so it can transfer it to the cabin. The best thing to do is put in a carpet that has insulation already bonded to it, especially over the transmission tunnel. If you can't find that kind of carpet, I recommend using some of that hi tech insulation that looks like tin foil. You can find that stuff at some of the camping stores, because it is used to insulate tents and such. You should also make sure that all the holes in the firewall are plugged, then insulate the firewall. The floors can be insulated too, but the main culprits are the fire wall and transmission tunnel. If you use regular carpeting padding, it will deaden the noise. Where did you have the exhaust come out? Did you have it come out the side in front of the rear wheel? That will also make for more noise in the cabin.

Jose :)

weaselkeeper

Silver Level Sponsor
Look at some of the hot rod or street rod sites. Spray on deadening or insulation/deadening blankets are available.

atallamcs

Donation Time
heat shield

I used a material that is a thin sheet of lead sandwiched in between two rubber sheets. It needs to be plied into place--a rubber hammer to follow the contours. Once in and the carpet down it shields at least 90% of the heat and noise. I had it in my Tiger. Expensive but worth the effort over the other products.

Unfortunately, I cannot remember the name--it came out of Washington State I believe. Upholstery and custom hot rod shops would know.

Bill

skywords

Donation Time
Bill
The Series II I bought from you has a coating on the floors and trunk areas almost like a Rino Liner pick up bed coating. Seems like good protection for floors? Any idea what it is.

Speaking of lead sheet, a good use for it is stuffing those self addressed pre paid envolopes that are in your junk mail. Funny thing it works real good for stopping their arrival in my mail box:D

britbeam

Donation Time
I used the silver heat insulation from JC Whitney and also my carpet has the thick backing. It doesnt cost a lot and seems to be working well.
Dwain V6 Krazy

chris

Donation Time
Thanks for the replies.

Hi Chris,

Did you have it come out the side in front of the rear wheel? That will also make for more noise in the cabin.

Jose :)

I should be at that point in about three weeks, but that is what I was planing to do.