• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Headliner

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Has anyone experienced installing a headliner, and if so what were the hiccups? Thanks
I could swear there used to be a really good forum post here on how to do it, complete with pictures (I remember seeing lots of little binder clips holding everything together) but just searched and can't find anything. The best I could see was this from Jumpinjan:

It's more based on experience & planning than anything. Usually, on sedans, I think the rear is installed first and then pulled forward. On our removable hardtops, I would center the headliner both laterally & longitudinal (make sure the seams are centered on the bows, so you have some movement) and tack it down with contact cement down the center (tack it down both front & back in the center), and then work it out to the sides. Try different directions of pull to get the most wrinkles out. Then secure all sides down and then use you steamer to get the last wrinkles out.

I also Googled it and couldn't find anything. This appears to calling out for a tech tip, ideally a video one. Are you listening, Tim R?

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Hi Jim,

This is a job that we will be doing on our Series V so we will film it and publish it on the site a some point in the next couple of months. This is a job that we've done twice before on Alpines that we own. It is not easy to get a nice tight finish and get all the wrinkles out. As with any videos that we make it will just be a record of what we do, not necessarily what SHOULD be done!

Another film that we plan to make in the near future will cover installing a replacement Series V soft top.

Tim R

alpine_64

Donation Time
I could swear there used to be a really good forum post here on how to do it, complete with pictures (I remember seeing lots of little binder clips holding everything together) but just searched and can't find anything. The best I could see was this from Jumpinjan:

I also Googled it and couldn't find anything. This appears to calling out for a tech tip, ideally a video one. Are you listening, Tim R?
Jim,

I think that was the thread on the headlining for the harringtom, jan posted a photo like that and iirc robert jaarsman also showed a shot doing his venezia

Phile 46

Donation Time
Thanks for all your imput. Sorry haven’t gotten back to you all sooner, was cooking turkey. Will get get at it when the snow has us blocked in.where would you recommend to get the 3 hardtop window seals?

65beam

Donation Time
There are some videos on You Tube that show the installation of a soft top.

Last edited:

Cali_59

Donation Time
I always love doing everything myself if humanly possible, although I am wise enough to realize that some tasks are best left to
a seasoned professional, ie: chrome work.
Sometimes the 'theory bites me in the ..wallet, when the seasoned pro, is just winging it.. like I would be after studying up as much as I can.
Is it common knowledge that it is just better to have a shop to do the headliner, or is it a fairly easy task to undertake?

Is it the very last task one does while restoring a H.T?( S1-2 )

One other question,
I could not find any specific tread on. early bows.
Is there anywhere that sells them?
Is there a pattern, that can be used to duplicate them?
Cheers!

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hope you can locate someone on the Forum that is kind enough to sell or atleast loan you an original set.

I was fortunate enough to have an original set (Late Series) when I started restoration on my hart top. HAd an idea to have some fabricated so others in need could get some decent ones if needed.

A Metal Man near me made some out of stainless steel. Took some keen insight to figure the correct bends.

Best of luck to you,

Cali_59

Donation Time
Thanks Dan, yeah I would like to just find a set. Sometime the fun in is the journey... the hunt