• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Headlamp assembly problem- questions

getsmartguy

Silver Level Sponsor
Hi Alpine friends, I have a question for the group. I noticed recently that the headlight appeared to be loose on the drivers side of my My 67 Alpine. Upon inspection it appeared that one of the two screws that go into the assembly and into the body of the car was loose, possibly stripped. I got a few replacement screws, and that’s when I discovered there was nothing behind the assembly to held the screw in! there is a screw hole in the body of the car, but nothing behind it to screw into.

I’m a beginner at this, and could use some expert advice on how the headlamp assembly is supposed to connect to the car- is there something missing on my car? And what would you recommend I do to fix it?

Attached are a couple photos. Many thanks,

Steve
Aka ”Get Smart Guy”

Attachments

• 77AD76C1-C6E9-4CB8-B072-4AA4A9EE03E4.jpeg
    77AD76C1-C6E9-4CB8-B072-4AA4A9EE03E4.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 36
  • 36F1B2A4-DAF0-4F14-A7AE-7F1FE28D0155.jpeg
    36F1B2A4-DAF0-4F14-A7AE-7F1FE28D0155.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 36
  • 70B33729-FBD0-48FB-A67E-F22C894951C8.jpeg
    70B33729-FBD0-48FB-A67E-F22C894951C8.jpeg
    1,023.3 KB · Views: 36

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Steve it is possible to utilize a bolt thru the hole, add a flat and a lock washer with a nut.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
It's been a while since I had this part of my Alpine apart, but I think you need to put one of these speed nuts onto that flange of the fender where the hole is.

You might have to remove the other screws holding the assembly in to get to install that speed nut

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
Headlamp buckets are originally riveted (3) in place at the factory and need to be drilled out. The alternative is a wide, shallow-head machine screw with a nylock behind.

mikephillips

Donation Time
Yes, I've gotten stainless rivets to use when replacing them. And be sure to get the headlamp adjuster kit, plastic inserts for the bucket and metal screws that hold the headlamp itself to the bucket and allow side to side, up and down aiming. Along with a fresh gasket to the fender, should be the most you might need

getsmartguy

Silver Level Sponsor
What does the original car use to secure the screws?
There might have been a clip at one time but there seems to be only one of the, now, the other two are gone, so I found and ordered more clips from sunbeam specialties, now it’s nice and tight. Thanks to you and everyone for the advice.

getsmartguy

Silver Level Sponsor
Yes, I've gotten stainless rivets to use when replacing them. And be sure to get the headlamp adjuster kit, plastic inserts for the bucket and metal screws that hold the headlamp itself to the bucket and allow side to side, up and down aiming. Along with a fresh gasket to the fender, should be the most you might need
I went to Home Depot and found a stainless steel tapered screw that matches the headlight rim screw on the rh side headlight, and bought the clips that were missing from sunbeam specialties. I didn’t think to order a headlampm- adjuster kit but that’s a good idea. Any idea whether replacing the headlamps with brighter led ones will work with existing wiring? These originals are pretty dim, lol

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I replaced my headlamps with LEDs bought from fellow Sunbeamer Joe Parlanti (Veloce Solutions LLC). Huge improvement in brightness and much less current draw. Used the stock wiring. No changes needed.

Mike

mikephillips

Donation Time
I've know folks who have done the LED with no issues and yours as a negative ground should work fine with 7in off the shelf. For those with earlier cars still positive ground, remember that LEDs are polarity sensitive.

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
I replaced my headlamps with LEDs bought from fellow Sunbeamer Joe Parlanti (Veloce Solutions LLC). Huge improvement in brightness and much less current draw. Used the stock wiring. No changes needed.

Mike
Same here...I don't drive my Alpine a lot at night but MAN do those LED's make a difference, especially if you're away from an urban area...so no streetlights. I went with Joe's full kit, all the way around the car.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I actually had to do a headlamp alignment after installing the LEDs, so I wasn't blinding the oncoming traffic. :)

Mike

wtaylor

Silver Level Sponsor
I have the LEDs from Holley and love them. I can see at night now.