• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Heading down a stromberg rabbit hole

Acollin

Donation Time
Doesn’t straight 20w have the same viscosity as 20/50 when cold? Another myth I had believed in.
i have some Ford type F that has been sitting on the shelf a while. The luck of hoarding!
Thanks, will change it out tomorrow.
Thanks, too, very much for all the guidance
Andrew

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
The carbs sit right above the exhaust manifold. They don't stay cold for very long. :) Use an oil with the properties you want at normal operating temperature. Give the thinner oil a try and see if you like it. If not, you can switch back to 20W-50.

Mike

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Doesn’t straight 20w have the same viscosity as 20/50 when cold?

New 20w and 20w/50 SHOULD have the same relative viscosity at 0* C (32* F) by oil formulation standards. Much lower viscosity than SAE 30 at 0* C.

A 20w/50 oil is designed to have the viscosity of a 20w oil at 0* C and the viscosity of a SAE 50 at 100* C. More viscosity at 100* C than SAE 30 oil at that temp.

The interesting thing is the viscosity of 20w/50 at 100* C is only a percentage point or less of its 0* C viscosity.

Hope this helps,

EDIT

Forgot to address your initial thought about SAE 20 isn't the same as 20w. SAE 20 is rated for 100*C as opposed to 20w's rating at 0*C. That would probably mean the viscosity results for the opposite rating would be different.

Have a good day,

main-qimg-9190df98cc5c15ecd57cdbfe581731ba

Last edited:

RootesRooter

Donation Time
IIRC, the original oil for Strombergs was like sewing machine oil - very thin.

I don't understand how the piston can "slip up and down smoothly" with no oil but is still hard to "raise the piston with just a finger."

Acollin

Donation Time
Hey rootesrooter

the piston slipped up and down smoothly with no/ minimal resistance when there was no oil in the carb. The heavy resistance returned when the oil was replaced - 20/50. The minimal resistance was due probably to the thin coating of oil that remained in the tube.
sorry if that was unclear.

For all still engaged:
Question: while I have not yet checked, if I reset/check the locating tab for the diaphragm ( remove cover, lift piston) will I also have to recenter the jet?

thanks all
Andrew

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
As to oil to use in the damper, it might help to understand the reason it’s there.

CD (constant depression) carburetors, like S.U. and Zenith-Stromberg carbs, rely upon a consistent vacuum pressure over the fuel jet to properly meter the fuel over the full range of acceleration.

In non-CD carbs there is usually an accelerator pump that squirts a shot of gas into the intake stream when you hit the throttle. This is because to get a quick throttle response, the engine needs a momentary extra-rich condition, or else you’ll have a momentary flat spot on acceleration.

In CD carburetors they compensated for the lack of an accelerator pump by using an oil-filled ‘shock absorber’ of sorts - and that’s the damper you fill up.

When you open the throttle quickly, this damper temporarily delays the rise of the air valve (the bit with the fuel metering needle), and thereby briefly increases the vacuum over the fuel jet. This means that the intake stream gets a briefly richer mixture, in effect creating an ersatz accelerator pump.

A heavier oil delays that movement longer, giving a longer time of richness, or essentially a bigger accelerator pump ‘squirt’. Conversely, a lighter oil gives a smaller squirt.

Also, one has to take temperature into effect. As noted in the previous posts, a single-weight oil heats up it gets thinner, whereas a multi-weight oil tends to hold a more stable viscosity over a broader range of temperatures.

So, in choosing the correct oil, one should use an oil that gives you enough delay such that you don’t feel a flat-spot on accelerating, and it should do so both when the engine is cold and hot.

I use 10W-30 engine oil in my carbs, as it gives me nice acceleration throughout the normal operating temperature of my motors.

Acollin

Donation Time
Great explanation and it probably explains the exceptional throttle response I was getting with the 20/50. I am currently running the “type f “ that Mike suggested and all is just fine, but the throttle does not respond as quickly. This is not really an “ issue” for me any longer, but it will be fun to experiment.

***I ask again: If I remove the air valve “ piston“ to dump the oil, will the jet require a recentering?

when I changed out the oil the last time, I siphoned it out — leaving everything intact except for the damper.
thanks all for the advice and support.
Andrew

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
***I ask again: If I remove the air valve “ piston“ to dump the oil, will the jet require a recentering?
No, it shouldn't, but be sure to properly align the tab on the diaphragm with the slot in the valve body.