• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

head gasket

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
Just a quick question. Which way is the head gasket installed? Copper side to head or block?
1725 cc in a SV.
Thanks

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Copper side down. If you look closely at the block when laying the gasket on you will cover a coolant
hole if you have the copper side up. You can see it !

alpine_64

Donation Time
Make sure the block surface is very clean and has a good surface around the sealing edges of the water pasaage cutouts and firing rings

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
If you torqued it to shop manual specs it might be too much. There was a technical bulletin that
lowered the torque to 45# from 48 that the manual calls for. They were getting gasket failures and
that seemed to be the cure. I've been torquing them to 45# for years and haven't had any issues yet.

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
Wonder if its too late to back it off now that the gasket is compressed?
May be more beneficial just to leave it be at this point.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Wonder if its too late to back it off now that the gasket is compressed?
May be more beneficial just to leave it be at this point.

Bobbo,

You could wait until you retorque the head bolts to change to the lower setting.

Since it has already been torqued to the higher setting, think I would just continue on that way.

Hope this opinion helps,

alpine_64

Donation Time
I wouldn't reduce torque settings if its been compressed beyond what the newer setting would compress it to.