• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

hayabusa power!!

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
That would be cool, but I'd be afraid of a engine that someone had in a vehicle and yanked out. I would need to here it run. You would also have to run race fuel all the time in a engine with that compression.

I'd also be afraid the cam would not come on until 3,000 rpm or later. Mini stock engines are in no way street engines. He ran it in a 4 X 4, does not state how the 4 X 4 was used or why he took it out. I suspect he drove it on the street and it was a nightmare.

By the way, that seems to be the story on high output motorcycle engines, even in something light, such as a Locost. Go like hell, PITA when driven under normal street conditions. You can easily get lost in the sequential shifter when slowing down as the torque band is narrow and you quite often have to drop more than one gear. Oh yes, you need good shoe leather (or high quality tennies) and a strong left leg if you want to back up.

Other than that, I'd guess they're almost perfect for an Alpine.
Bill

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
You are the disrespectful one, when you posted an answer to Jim, telling him to do the math, as if you were superior. You shouldn´t talk to anyone in that kind of condescending manner. I wasn´t trying to push the V6 Alpine, just letting you know that you were misinterpreting what Jim posted. It isn´t the first time you have jumped in when you really didn´t read correctly what was being said, like when you stated a while back, that there had to be a crank driven supercharger from some stock application, that would fit under the hood. The guy that started that thread clearly stated that he didn´t want to put hood scoop or bulge in the hood. There is NO crank driven top of the engine mounted blower, that will fit under a stock Alpine hood. All you had to do is look at the Alpine hood, and the way it slopes down in front, to see that it is totally impossible. You said that I shouldn´t say that, then concescendingly said there had to be one somewhere that would fit. You were whistling past the grave yard and you knew it. All of us make mistakes and we need to admit it when we do.

I won´t comment on your insult about being ignorant, because people who have no ideas are the ones that call others names.

Jose

Joe, your ignorance is astounding, your post most offensive with respect to your talk of super heroes and reality.

You are also quite wrong about my opinion of the V6, particularly the 60 degree ford, it has long been one of my favorite motors as I was once a capri junky.

As you often do with posts and threads of mods not relating to the V6 ford, you have jumped on your soapbox and contaminated the thread.

The fact is people are using these engines in cars today, regardless of your version of reality. 1500lb cars doing 0 to 60s in the 4 to 5 second range.

Seriously man, cant you let people think about other ways to do things without crapping all over it?

Respectfully,

afssanders

Donation Time
Cubic inches

I have to say it neat to use other types of engines, but I can tell you from experience it very expensive to make power from smaller cubic inch engines. I have about 10 grand wrapped up in my little power plant now and I'm pretty sure I'll dump another 2 into yet to get a little more power from it. It is and will remain very streetable and get awesome milage, plus it'll be dependable. What do you expect after spending that kind of money. Big combustion cambers are the cheapest way to make power. Think F1 engines and where they started and where they are today.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Joe,

Every time you get the chance you push the V6, just about every thread out there on other engines you always chime in with the V6 does this, the V6 does that, its like a tired sales pitch.

Fine.

I re-read the entire thread, I dont get how something in plain English written by Jim can get interpreted how you specified, it was a provocative put down of all not V6 ford. 3 posts in a row. Interesting ad-lib on how you interpreted what he wrote and decoded it to this:

>I think you missed the point that Jim was trying to make, which is, that the
>2.8 V6 conversion is the least expensive way to make power.

I am going to have to get that upgrade to my superhero decoder ring.

This thread was about hayabusa power, not what you ought to install instead of it.

I Apologize, I should not have called you ignorant.

I would however like to see a thread NOT about the venerable V6 swap be able to mature without relentless banter on how the V6 is a better route.

mackzknife

Donation Time
Jarid,

you need to remember that there is a turbocharged 2.8 V6 out there, that will beat almost anything that is streetable, all on regular gas, and giving almost 21 mpg. at 80 mph.

Jose

How hard is it to fit a turbo in, I imagine there would be serious space issues?

alpine_64

Donation Time
Ok let me put this another way.... the v6 conversion will eat most Tigers.

Hey Jim.. want to come play 1/4's? or rolling starts.. or... or... :D.. i'll even play who can brake in a shorter distance... oh.. and i bet i can exit a corner backwards faster too!!! :D:D:D

Jim E

Donation Time
Sorry I was out of line. The bike motors are in the light cars are pretty cool I just do not think they would do in a car as heavy as an Alpine.Oh I am sure with the coin and know how you could build one that is lightening fast. Once again sorry for the post spewing.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Mack,

You are correct. It has been done before, but it looks like 10 lbs. of poop, in a 5 lb. sack. I would think it would cost about $5,000 to add a turbo to your V6. I have pictures of the engine compartment, but I don´t know how to post them.

Jose

How hard is it to fit a turbo in, I imagine there would be serious space issues?

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Jared,

I apologize for what I wrote. I only post when I feel that The V6 convertsion is made to appear less than what it is. Maybe I´m a bit sensitive about what I percieve as criticism. I like any well done conversion and never comment when someone talks about their choice. I have heard so many negative comments through the years, that I´ve decided to not let them go unansered. I will try to not be so sensitive from now on.

Jose

64beam

Donation Time
The bike motors are in the light cars are pretty cool I just do not think they would do in a car as heavy as an Alpine.Oh I am sure with the coin and know how you could build one that is lightening fast.

My sentiments exactly. All of the cars I have seen with motor bike engines were small and very lightened cars like a sprite or midget. Until someone starts making fibre glass Alpine body parts (other than the bonnets), as Jim said unfortunately I think they would be too heavy.

Regards, Robin.

tigretr

Donation Time
So if a 4 cylinder hayabusa isn't enough, how about the H1 2.8L 400HP Hayabusa V8 that only weighs 200lbs.

http://www.h1v8.com/page/page/1562069.htm

If money weren't an issue (boy at this point it would have been a cheap option for me!) this would be the way to go. This is one motor you would love to show off under the hood. I totally agree that opening the hood and seeing a motorcycle engine might be a little embarrassing, but this hybrid V8 is truly awesome. With a little gearing I bet this would be a lot of fun in an Alpine.

Brian

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Years ago I assisted in the tuning of a V8 kawasaki, which was designed and made by Jerry Marcel, then the director of R&D for Kawasaki USA down in Irvine CA.

He designed it to be IIRC two 1000cc I-4s with a special crank and sump.

That was a hell of a screaming motor, incredibly small too.

It had an electronically limited 11,000 RPM redline becuase he was not sure how the crank would fair at higher RPMs.

socorob

Donation Time
talk about power to weight, thats a light engine. crazy expensive though. some of the radical automotive track cars have hyabusa engines in them too.

afssanders

Donation Time
awesome

That engine is crazy awesome. Do you know what it costs? It's like a little F1 engine. Wouldn't that be awesome to wake up christmas day and find that under the tree. My god I would probably cry.

Years ago I assisted in the tuning of a V8 kawasaki, which was designed and made by Jerry Marcel, then the director of R&D for Kawasaki USA down in Irvine CA.

He designed it to be IIRC two 1000cc I-4s with a special crank and sump.

That was a hell of a screaming motor, incredibly small too.

It had an electronically limited 11,000 RPM redline becuase he was not sure how the crank would fair at higher RPMs.