• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

hayabusa power!!

C

cooked

Have you guys checked out any the videos of the hayabusa powered lotus 7 replicas? That would be a slick setup in a alpine:D Is there anyone familiar with how they do the RWD setup any ideas??? I believe those hayabusa motors put out close to 180hp at 10,000 RPM it would be nice to take a setup like that through the twisties! Just a sick thought!!!:D

tigretr

Donation Time
My opinion on the hayabusa motor is that unless your car is very light or can always stay in the upper RPM range it would not really be a practical driver. If you look at motorcycle engine specs, they have small horsepower to weight ratios but the torque isn't there. Now for a motorcycle the torque is awesome, but for something that weighs 4 times the bikes weight, you would need some seriously low gears to get off the line fast.

Hayabusa specs:
Claimed Peak Horsepower: 175 ps/172.6 bhp @ 9800rpm
Claimed Peak Torque: 102.0 lbs-ft. @ 7000 rpm
Claimed Power To Weight Ratio: 3.16 pounds/horsepower

Now if you are up for a challenge. The Hayabusa head will fit on a 1725 block if you cut it in half right down the middle and stretched it by about 1". This of course opens up a whole other can of worms, like cutting and stretching cams, driving the cams, sealing the head back up.... but it can be done. I still have my hayabusa head waiting for the day when I have too much time and money to try and make this Alpine/Hayabusa combo come alive. I was going to do this conversion with my current motor but I had already had the pistons made for my turbo engine when I made this discovery. Oh well, next time!
Brian

socorob

Donation Time
I dont know if youre familiar with the bbc car show top gear, but there are a few sports cars out of the uk and germany that have hayabusa engines, and the times around their track with them are faster than most lambos and ferraris. If you yahoo hayabusa powered car, youll see lots of smart cars and other cars with that engine swap. Most are very fast. I cant remember the names of the comapnies that make the cars at the moment, but if i can find them ill post back. I think most weighed around 800kg, which is a very light car.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I dont know if youre familiar with the bbc car show top gear, but there are a few sports cars out of the uk and germany that have hayabusa engines, and the times around their track with them are faster than most lambos and ferraris. If you yahoo hayabusa powered car, youll see lots of smart cars and other cars with that engine swap. Most are very fast. I cant remember the names of the comapnies that make the cars at the moment, but if i can find them ill post back. I think most weighed around 800kg, which is a very light car.

Locosts "lotus 7 DIY clones" often run motorcycle engines for extra power to weight ratio.

Caterham and Westerfield 7s can run many different engines as above, though most use 1700 kent fords or 1.8/2.0 zetecs.

Ariel Atoms also have various engines they can run, though the fastest run automotive Honda V6s.

Jim E

Donation Time
Let it roll.... stuff any motor bike motor you want in an Alpine and I figure my 2.8 conversion will put you in the weeds. Not so much braggin just the way it is or as my carb tuner says... "that thing will eat" Bring it

Jim E

Donation Time
Ok let me put this another way.... the v6 conversion will eat most Tigers. Typically I do not go here but guys come on lets be real dollar for dollar there is about no way to beat the Jose conversion as far as kick butt move it down the road goes. The one transplant I have drifting in my head is the rotary turbo unit I figure that one would put the 2.8 in its place maybe. The 2.3 turbo might work too but it is heavy and takes a crap load of space to fit. A motor bike motor please it is not going to do the deal. In the end dollar for dollar you better be packing to out run a 2.8 conversion and to be honest you better have it coming to out run a car like mine. A motor bike motor you got to be kidding.

Jim E

Donation Time
Oh and on more thing I have not mentioned putting the goofy gas on it.... let it roll

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Uh Jim, better take your meds.:)

If HP and weight is your goal, one of those jap bike motors will put most engines weve talked about here to shame. The power to weight ratio on these things are awesome.

There are some stock 1300cc engines out there making 250hp naturally aspirated. This is not as hard as it seems, only 200hp/liter and an 11,000 RPM redline.

Were talking about a 200lb motor making 250hp. Think about this for a bit then do some math.

The big issue is that the engines power output is high in the RPM range, and all things the same, it will be down about 50% torque-wise as compared to your 2.8.
Solution? Put a 2/1 pre drive between the motors gearbox and the stock diff.

Then you will see what the same HP and 400 lbs weight difference will yield.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jim, the 2.3 turbo not only might work, it WILL work. There has been one on the west coast for several years and one was at Invasion I. The west coast sample puts out something in the 350 hp range. Weight of a runnable turbo'ed 2.3 with everything, coolant, oil, EFI and T5 is 525 pounds. Not bad considering the power potential and inclusion of the T5.

It will walk all over any 2.8 as the 2.3 will take more boost than the 2.8.

Bill

socorob

Donation Time
@ Jim E, what do you think the 0-60 is in your car? I wasnt sayin the hayabusa was better, i was just saying its very fast in the light track cars on the other side of the pond. My goalis to end up with the v conversion.. heck, im still waiting to see if the guy i ut an offer into for a SIV is going to accept it.

afssanders

Donation Time
Motorcycle engine in a car

If it was a small enough car and maybe had a mid-centered arrangement you could get away with it, but it would look silly when you open the hood. You could probably climb in there and sit your ass down on the fender and work on it.
I'm not saying anything about the power, because I know it's there. I owned a GSX and that thing was scary fast. The power however is in the high R's though.
Now maybe if a guy would shrink down that Alpine and stuff that sucker in the back and it would be acceptable. It'd be like a formula 1 Sunbeam. Probably have to rebuild the motor as often too.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Jim, the 2.3 turbo not only might work, it WILL work. There has been one on the west coast for several years and one was at Invasion I. The west coast sample puts out something in the 350 hp range. Weight of a runnable turbo'ed 2.3 with everything, coolant, oil, EFI and T5 is 525 pounds. Not bad considering the power potential and inclusion of the T5.

It will walk all over any 2.8 as the 2.3 will take more boost than the 2.8.

Bill

Think something like this would work? http://stlouis.craigslist.org/pts/1092259454.html

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Jarid,

I think you missed the point that Jim was trying to make, which is, that the 2.8 V6 conversion is the least expensive way to make power. The engines you mention are way down on torque, Which makes it unsuitable for easy street driving. Anyone can throw money at anything to make it go fast, but can you drive it normally on the street and still get 25+ mpg.?

Socorob,

I´m sure that Jim´s Alpine, with a set of slapper bars and a posi, would do 0-60 in 5.0 seconds, with a 1/4 mile in about 13.0-13.5 seconds. Jim´s Alpine runs on regular gas too. His Alpine is comfortable and a great long distance driver, which most of the smaller engines mentioned wouldn´t be able to do easily. A 2.3 Ford four banger is one exception.

The basic thing to remember, is that Jim´s Alpine can be driven daily, anywhere. Jim has most of the cars on the street covered. The fact that some have mentioned turbocharging their favorites in order to beat Jim´s NA 2.8 V6, you need to remember that there is a turbocharged 2.8 V6 out there, that will beat almost anything that is streetable, all on regular gas, and giving almost 21 mpg. at 80 mph.

Jim speaks like he does, because he has had his V6 Alpine for a while and knows what it can do. I would suggest not trying him out.:)

Jose

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Jarid,

I think you missed the point that Jim was trying to make, which is, that the 2.8 V6 conversion is the least expensive way to make power. The engines you mention are way down on torque, Which makes it unsuitable for easy street driving. Anyone can throw money at anything to make it go fast, but can you drive it normally on the street and still get 25+ mpg.?

Jose, you need to go back and read those posts, what you write above is not the jist of those posts.

Those posts said plainly, no mototcycle engine is going to take his 2.8 alpine, no other engines will take the 2.8 alpine, and 2.8 alpines are tiger eaters.

The original poster brought the motorcycle idea to the table becuase its a common engine for being put IN SPORTS CARS, why not consider it for an alpine?

Low on torque?

Do you not think a modern 1300cc engine would not be able to match a 1600 or 1725 from the 50s or 60s, even if it came from a bike?

Joe, the 2.8 V6, while solving some particular problems with fitment in the alpine is NOT the do all end all engine.

Let some folks think outside the box a bit huh?

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Jared,

You are talking dreams, not reality. I remember way back when (1958), that my cousins would talk about making a street car that would do 150 mph. on the street. At that time, the dragsters were turning 150+ in the quarter. To them, they thought that it would be easy, but they were like a couple of kids who still believe in Super Man, talking about who would win a fight between Super Man and the Masked Marvel. Not reality. You were telling Jim to check the numbers, but he is talking fact, not fantasy.

I know that you don´t like the V6 conversion, but I have yet to find an owner that doesn´t think it performs much better than they thought it would originally. It doesn´t matter if it is a Ford V6 or a GM V6, the Alpine just comes alive. There are some automotive four cylinders that will perform equally well, but not a motorcycle engine.

Jose

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Jared,

You are talking dreams, not reality. I remember way back when (1958), that my cousins would talk about making a street car that would do 150 mph. on the street. At that time, the dragsters were turning 150+ in the quarter. To them, they thought that it would be easy, but they were like a couple of kids who still believe in Super Man, talking about who would win a fight between Super Man and the Masked Marvel. Not reality. You were telling Jim to check the numbers, but he is talking fact, not fantasy.

I know that you don´t like the V6 conversion, but I have yet to find an owner that doesn´t think it performs much better than they thought it would originally. It doesn´t matter if it is a Ford V6 or a GM V6, the Alpine just comes alive. There are some automotive four cylinders that will perform equally well, but not a motorcycle engine.

Jose

Joe, your ignorance is astounding, your post most offensive with respect to your talk of super heroes and reality.

You are also quite wrong about my opinion of the V6, particularly the 60 degree ford, it has long been one of my favorite motors as I was once a capri junky.

As you often do with posts and threads of mods not relating to the V6 ford, you have jumped on your soapbox and contaminated the thread.

The fact is people are using these engines in cars today, regardless of your version of reality. 1500lb cars doing 0 to 60s in the 4 to 5 second range.

Seriously man, cant you let people think about other ways to do things without crapping all over it?

Respectfully,

EdSua

Donation Time
That was an unfortunate response to Jose's comment.
This is a Forum and jumping on someone so rudely will limit the responses.
I enjoy all points of view. This is not about religion this is about cars.
Thanks,
Ed Sua