• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Having trouble with OIL leaks among other things

the brothers krupa

Donation Time
Hi all,
Have a 1966 series 5 alpine.
1- still having trouble with oil leaks from front crankshaft void, and from dipstick tube, after freshening all gaskets on motor. could tired engine blow-by be creating excessive crankcase pressure? quite a bit of oil leaking out the front.
2- steering box leaking, and is super tight and not smooth
3- looking for rearview mirror bracket, rear view mirror, and sun visors... any direction or ideas?

Thank you

mikephillips

Donation Time
By front crankshaft void I assume you mean the timing cover. The pulley needs to be exactly centered since it has no seal and relies on a reverse scroll cut into the pulley shaft to catch the oil when running and throw it back into the timing cover. If it isn't, then you can have leaks there. The timing cover itself is supposed to drain back into the pan, if you find it filling, could be the drain is blocked. And if it is pushing out the dipstick hole in the block flange where the dipstick enters, that would be a serious amount of internal pressure since there is no internal tube to the oil and nothing for the oil passage should be able to leak inside and cause it.

Steering box if I recall correctly has an O ring type seal on the output shaft to retain lube, sounds like it has gone bad. Would mean removing the steering column and taking the shaft out to replace.

the brothers krupa

Donation Time
By front crankshaft void I assume you mean the timing cover. The pulley needs to be exactly centered since it has no seal and relies on a reverse scroll cut into the pulley shaft to catch the oil when running and throw it back into the timing cover. If it isn't, then you can have leaks there. The timing cover itself is supposed to drain back into the pan, if you find it filling, could be the drain is blocked. And if it is pushing out the dipstick hole in the block flange where the dipstick enters, that would be a serious amount of internal pressure since there is no internal tube to the oil and nothing for the oil passage should be able to leak inside and cause it.

Steering box if I recall correctly has an O ring type seal on the output shaft to retain lube, sounds like it has gone bad. Would mean removing the steering column and taking the shaft out to replace.
hey mike, i am not sure how to center the pulley more than we have already, since it appears there is only one way to install due to the key? please advise if there are other steps for us to follow. will also pull cover off again and check drain hole(s).

Thank you for the input, we are grateful

Acollin

Donation Time
There is a great utube video on the sunbeam channel that you will love about your leaking steering box. Essentially clear old oil out and refill with a semi- liquid oil. I picked some up at a local tractor supply shop. Do the viewing and ask any questions. I did the fix about a year ago. Its pretty simple and worked great. Improved my steering and plugged the leak.

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
On the right (passenger) side of your engine there is a rectangular tappet cover with a short metal tube towards the rear that protrudes slightly upwards. Is it blocked off, connected to something or open? If blocked or connected that may be your problem as it should be clear! It's a blow-by tube intended to allow the engine to breath and release internal pressure. If blocked, it can easily create pressure that'll push oil out the timing cover, dipstick hole, etc.

the brothers krupa

Donation Time
On the right (passenger) side of your engine there is a rectangular tappet cover with a short metal tube towards the rear that protrudes slightly upwards. Is it blocked off, connected to something or open? If blocked or connected that may be your problem as it should be clear! It's a blow-by tube intended to allow the engine to breath and release internal pressure. If blocked, it can easily create pressure that'll push oil out the timing cover, dipstick hole, etc.
the tube is clear and we teed that into the upper vent tube and ran both to the carb air filter... still seems pressure is too great in the crankcase :/

Last edited:

the brothers krupa

Donation Time
There is a great utube video on the sunbeam channel that you will love about your leaking steering box. Essentially clear old oil out and refill with a semi- liquid oil. I picked some up at a local tractor supply shop. Do the viewing and ask any questions. I did the fix about a year ago. Its pretty simple and worked great. Improved my steering and plugged the leak.
will look right now...sounds great! what was the product called that you were able to get at tractor supply... thanks

Last edited:

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
the tube is clear and we teed that into the upper vent tube and ran both to oil filter... still seems pressure is too great in the crankcase :/
Maybe you have a closed system? What is the 'upper vent tube'?

The stock setup is the tappet cover pipe connects to the PCV valve on the intake manifold. Some folks also just vent the tappet cover pipe to the atmosphere and plug the PCV valve connection on the intake.

Fresh air goes to the oil filler through the flame trap.

1703017244353.png

Mike

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
I suggest you disconnect the "clear" tube I presume you added from the tappet cover and let it vent (as Mike said above) to the atmosphere. That should improve the situation.

the brothers krupa

Donation Time
will look right now...sounds great!
Maybe you have a closed system? What is the 'upper vent tube'?

The stock setup is the tappet cover pipe connects to the PCV valve on the intake manifold. Some folks also just vent the tappet cover pipe to the atmosphere and plug the PCV valve connection on the intake.

Fresh air goes to the oil filler through the flame trap.

View attachment 30537

Mike
hey mike, thanks for the info and pic. i mis-spoke, the upper vent tube is actually the filler neck port. so we come out of the lower block vent and t into the upper fill neck vent and then over to the air filer to vent into the carb air slip stream. when i take the oil fill cap off while running there is a lot of pressure coming out. i will post a pic when i get the car back here to the shop from the upholstery shop

the brothers krupa

Donation Time
I suggest you disconnect the "clear" tube I presume you added from the tappet cover and let it vent (as Mike said above) to the atmosphere. That should improve the situation.
thank you volvoguys... will give that a try. lots of air pressure comes out when i take off oil fill cap while running.

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
You may have misaligned the timing cover when you regasketed. Sounds like a tired engine to me, have you done a compression test?

the brothers krupa

Donation Time
So which hose goes into your PCV?

You may have misaligned the timing cover when you regasketed. Sounds like a tired engine to me, have you done a compression test?
1- How could we have misaligned timing cover? it appears to only go on one way? please advise...
2- it does seem tired...will do a compression test today
3- the pcv valve was removed when the previous owner installed a weber carb and new intake

the brothers krupa

Donation Time
So which hose goes into your PCV?
PCV valve was removed and both hoses for ventilation were routed to the bottom of air cleaner when previous owner installed a weber carb and new intake manifold. when i remove oil fill cap when car is running, it does blow quite a bit of pressure out the top cap on a continual basis.

mikephillips

Donation Time
What is needed for centering the pulley in the timing cover, this means the neck that slides over the crank end needs to be centered in the hole of the timing cover. What you can do is before putting it on the car take the crank pulley and wrap a couple layers of masking tape over it until it fits in the timing cover hole without any noticeable gaps round it. The put the timing cover one the car, but don't tighten it down yet. Insert the crak pulley on the end, you don't need to push it all the way in, just enough so the neck is in the hole, then tighten down the bolts holding the timing cover. Remove the pulley, remove the spacing tape and reinsert. Will then be as centered as possible. OH, and make sure the oil slinger is in place between the lower crank timing gear and the cover. That is also necessary to ensure oil when running is thrown out from that spot and away from the timing cover pulley opening.

the brothers krupa

Donation Time
What is needed for centering the pulley in the timing cover, this means the neck that slides over the crank end needs to be centered in the hole of the timing cover. What you can do is before putting it on the car take the crank pulley and wrap a couple layers of masking tape over it until it fits in the timing cover hole without any noticeable gaps round it. The put the timing cover one the car, but don't tighten it down yet. Insert the crak pulley on the end, you don't need to push it all the way in, just enough so the neck is in the hole, then tighten down the bolts holding the timing cover. Remove the pulley, remove the spacing tape and reinsert. Will then be as centered as possible. OH, and make sure the oil slinger is in place between the lower crank timing gear and the cover. That is also necessary to ensure oil when running is thrown out from that spot and away from the timing cover pulley opening.
Thank you mike! we will use this install method after we pull the cover back off once again to ensure oil drain holes are clear.