• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Harrington Steering Wheel?

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
We got this steering wheel with a bunch of other parts. We are not sure what it is for. I just noticed it looks very similar to a Harrington Le Mans wheel - with the extra openings for the thumbs. This wheel is a "Spyder" wheel. Spyder also made wheels for Elvas.

1701447455988.png

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Nice link. I think this one is even 16" like the link says the originals were. So either I need to finally get myself a Harrington, or find someone who would love this steering wheel. Ha.

I've actually never seen one in person. I think I'd like the earlier ones the best. But since I haven't seen them, I don't know for sure.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Think proper timing now for you to consider buying a HLM. They are cumbersome for restoration, but with all the accumulated know how nowadays in the forum it can be done ;)

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Except I think I'm partial to the C. Ha. I actually I've always kept my eyes open for one to consider buying. But there are obviously so few. And as I said, I've never seen one in person. Other than Ian's and one other, I don't know I've even seen of one in the states.

I've also always wondered if the HLMs look droopy in person, as they do in the pictures (sorry if that is sacrilegious).

I just noticed the Harrington logo actually has the same design.

1701706072212.png

Last edited:

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
"Droopy looks" is really sacrilegious. But to be honest I thought the same originally. However when it comes to maximized interior space they are the proper ones to have. That's the very reason I bought my project. Furthermore I believe something can be done about the droopy looks. You'll learn later ;-).
Finally a "C" very rarely comes up for sale - if ever and I just didn't want to wait that long...

GlennB

Silver Level Sponsor
I was at a Harrington day at the London Bus museum at Brooklands, UK some years back. An MGB owner came up to me when I was standing beside Clive Harrington's Le Mans and he said "well that's one design that failed isn't it?" I told him we would have to disagree (I stopped myself saying anything about MGs). But I suppose the bottom line is that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Personally I like the HLM look if it is set up level.

alpine_64

Donation Time
"Droopy looks" is really sacrilegious. But to be honest I thought the same originally. However when it comes to maximized interior space they are the proper ones to have. That's the very reason I bought my project. Furthermore I believe something can be done about the droopy looks. You'll learn later ;-).
Finally a "C" very rarely comes up for sale - if ever and I just didn't want to wait that long...
The A has the nicest proportions.. but is the least practical... The C and D the best compromise...the LM the most plentiful.

The more relaxed arc of the LM roof and the removal of the fins makes the rear wheel arch look very small and puts a lot of body height over that area above the wheel.... also the waist line draws the eye down with the body line to the back and quite aggressively... Which further accentuates the issue.

The HLM proportions are very visually sensitive to angle and height of view.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Well, I live in So Cal, and my regular travels take me to San Francisco/Bay Area, Sacramento CA, Austin TX, and Bentonville Arkansas. I go other places. Those are just the regular ones for work. Any Harringtons in those places?

GlennB

Silver Level Sponsor
There's an HLM for sale in the UK at the moment, the ex-1962 RAC Rally entrant 2EGG at £40K. I'm not sure what happened to the Belgium racing HLM, last time I looked it was unsold at £26K but it has an interesting contemporary international racing history. Both cars are somewhat non-standard but personally an interesting history is always good as I don't have the dedication or funding to keep and own a perfect car.

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Jay you need to come to the Invasion here in South Carolina April 5+6 2024.
There is a good chance there will be 2 or 3 Harringtons there!