• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Hardtop Parts

67basket_case

Donation Time
Im in desperate need of a donor hard top to help restore my factory HT for my '67. I have some rust in the bottom corners and hate to hand fab all new metal bits. Any suggestions?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Donor Tops are indeed rare!

I recently purchase a top in extremely bad condition.

Knowing full well that it was in as bad of a condition as it was, I wanted it as is and happy to get it.

My metal man is excellent with any and all kinds of jobs I have presented him with.

No to be disappointed YET!!!

I suggest that you "keep asking" and Keep Hoping" to get one. But, start figuring out how to replace the parts you have that are bad.

First evaluate that they are indeed needing to be replaced. Make sure that they can-not-be-repaired-first.

Do not throw anything away either.

Send me some PIC's of the top.

I'd be interested in what you have.

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
The late tops rust out around the bottom rails under the rear and side windows. So if yours has rust there and you dont want to fix it.. your top is the donor of the trim + misc pars to a non rusty top.

There are suppliers in the Uk that sell the patch panels for the hardtop (the rust even worse in the UK) Randy Willett in the states may have some and Rob Martel used to.... A rusty late top is not uncommon and not cheap to sort. You either need to repair yours, but a good one and sell the bits off yours.. or go to an aftermarket smoothline one (Parish top) which was a period faibreglass one, or the UK made honeybourne moldings tops which are a similar shape to the factory tops.

67basket_case

Donation Time
I will get some pics ASAP gotta visit the storage unit to snap a few shots, It was in perfect condition or so i thought but now im rusted out around the rails acros the bottom of the back window...

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
I will get some pics ASAP gotta visit the storage unit to snap a few shots, It was in perfect condition or so i thought but now im rusted out around the rails acros the bottom of the back window...

Most of that is pretty simple, except for the rail across the back, which has a gentle curve to it. Hopefully, that one piece can be salvaged. Unfortunately, because there are so many that rusted out, there are more accessories and trim than there are shells. VB sells the bottom rails for the side windows @ $180 each! I cannot tell you how good they are. I don’t hear good things about VB but have not had any issues with the very few parts I have picked up.

I you ever want me to go look at those panels and check them out I can. VB is only a few miles from me. :)

mikephillips

Donation Time
The VB rails under the windows are ok, but not perfect. I used them on one top and they don't have the extension that attaches to the rear of the top, they are only the sections under the quarterwindows. For my other top, made my own set, which isn't that hard to do. I've replaced those, the inner sides of the rear sections up to about 8-10 inches up and some odds and ends of damage. I'm not a pro so a good metal guy shouldn't have trouble with it, although as pointed out, may not be cheap.

Good donor shells are few and very far between, most will have the same rust problems to a greater or lesser extent so you'll be doing some amount of repair almost certainly. Or you can try to track down a restored top someone might be selling, but could easily end up with 3k in that if you find one.