• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Hardened woodruff keys

Jim E

Donation Time
I still have these, the V6ers all need them if running a stock rear end behind a V6 and if I were pulling hubs I would put a set of these in cause I have heard of stock engined cars mangling the factory keys. Anyway they are $6 a set shipped if you are out of the US will have to make sure I cover postage. Have few left first come first serve and if anyone wants them all well here they are!

Regards Jim

Jim E

Donation Time
$6 a set shipped if it is in the US if outside the US I need to check and see what the postage is. Where are you located?

Jim E

Donation Time
Guys send your six bucks to the below address, let me know where to ship and will go ahead and drop them in the mail.

Jim Ellis
PO Box 9593
Columbia SC 29290

Jim E

Donation Time
Randy yours are in the mail, Jarrid and Chris your will go in the mail today. Doug PM me your address and I will send your out today also.

Thanks

Jim E

Donation Time
Vlad your set is going out today or tomorrow.

Doug, are you D.F. Miller? just want to be sure, a check came and want to make sure everyone gets their sets.

Jim E

Donation Time
Thanks for letting me know. Anyone else who orders a set if they do not come ping me just want to make sure everyone gets them. The way I ship them it is posible the post machine could eat the envelope, never happened but.... anyway thanks guys. I still have a supply of these by the way.

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
woodruff key

Doug, are you D.F. Miller? just want to be sure, a check came and want to make sure everyone gets their sets.

Hi Jim, yes, one and the same. I think mine came last week while I was away so don't know exact day. Thanks, another problem solved. The list is still long however.
Doug

Rsgwynn1

Silver Level Sponsor
If I replace the stock keys, what else will I need? Gaskets, seals, o-rings, etc.? I know I'll need a lot of elbow grease to get those hubs off.

Jim E

Donation Time
If your hub seals are leaking and that is pretty common, this can get to be a pretty big job. The old one thing leads to another deal. I have been able to get replacement seals from the local bearing distributor house. Have also got speedi sleeves to repair the wear on the hubs where the seal rides at the same place. The paper gaskets that go between the end of the axle the backing plate and the seal holding gizmo I just us the black gasket goop. THen you can get all the stuff from CS or SS or VB as long as you know which hub version your rear end is.

Then you get into the is the pinion seal leaking, is the center section gasket leaking, are the ring gear bolts loose and do you have any bearings making noise.

If you are doing hub seals and have the backing plates off it is pretty easy to go ahead and pull the axles and remove the center section. You go this far or plan to, order new ring gear bolts from SS so they are on hand. All the ones I have done had loose bolts and I replace the bolts. Just do not want to take a chance with an old bolt that has had years of load on it while loose. These bolts usually have shinny places on the shank. Anyway you would not want to have it all apart cleaned and be torquing the last old bolt back in and pop the head off it....

Oh and do you go ahead and remove the axle housing from the car so you can steam clean all the old grease out and give it a coat of paint... then there is always a 3.70 gear and spring eye bushings.

So as always a $6 part can lead to a lot of work.

Just replacing the keys requires getting the hubs off and no parts, it is fixing all the other stuff that gets you.

Jersey Alpine

Donation Time

Many thanks for the hardend keys, Jim. That was the easy part - now comes the challenge!

All the best,
Vlad

Rsgwynn1

Silver Level Sponsor
Good to know, Jim, that replacing the keys won't involve other stressful work. Though getting those hubs off should be stressful enough! As far as I can tell, there aren't any other leaks in the diff.

Sam