• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Hard Top differences

mike-down-under

Donation Time
Howdy

does anyone know whether a Series IV / V hard top will fit a series I - III Apline and vice versa?

What are the differences to the fit, if any?

cheers
Mike

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
The early hardtops will not fit the later cars and the converse is also true. The windshield and side windows are different between the early body style and the later one, and this difference makes it virtually impossible to interchange them.

Alpine Bob

Donation Time
The Series 3, IV, & V will interchange with each other. The Series I and II will interchange with each other. But the early Series will not interchange with the later Series. Puff4 has described the differences.

alpine_64

Donation Time
The SI/II tops dont just differ in the windscreen profile, but also side window profiles and the attachment points at the screen and B-posts (the rear plungers would work, but are a different design to the later cars pins type.)

You can fit a SI/II HT onto a later car, but you have to change the windcreen and side windows, not an easy job.

There are also small detail differences in the S3-V tops, the size of the buttons that hold the side 1/4 vent windows and the SV's which have the small tabs for the soft top boot.

here is a tiger fitted with the early series top:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pietroz/3318116385/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pietroz/3318116137/

65beam

Donation Time
differences

this conversion would require a ton of work ! and why ? not only would you have to change the glass but also the window regulators , which would mean structural changes to the doors along with the hardtop mountings , windshield, etc. not an overnight job . plus loosing head room inside . and think of the areas of the doors where the wing windows set . ????? i wonder if they installed early doors ?

alpine_64

Donation Time
this conversion would require a ton of work ! and why ? not only would you have to change the glass but also the window regulators , which would mean structural changes to the doors along with the hardtop mountings , windshield, etc. not an overnight job . plus loosing head room inside . and think of the areas of the doors where the wing windows set . ????? i wonder if they installed early doors ?

This is not the only sunbeam i have seen to have this done.. chris draycots Sv also did this. I would guess they used SI or SIi doors, but they are also a little different. The other thing to consider.. i dont know how you would get a soft top to work in this setup...

Why would you do it... well.. The early screens look much nicer, as do the side windows.. the early hardtops look nicer.. if you are racing the SI/Ii screens lay back and have a better profile... or maybe they just wan tto be different..

I drove my tiger with my SII top on it once.. had to hold it with a friend.. took a few pics at the time.. looks nice.. but i would not do the swap..

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I rather like the later tops on the later cars - I think the styling is very snappy, almost like a Ferrari or Benz. And I really like the opening vent windows, too.

But... if you like the earlier rounded tops, why not just save yourself a ton of cost and aggro and buy a Parrish Plastics hardtop? (now made by SmoothLine) You can get one brand new, in any color you like, and they are made in USA (Pennsylvania). You can even get upgraded headliners and other options.

http://www.smoothline.com/sunbeam.php

Sunbeam-Tiger.jpg

alpine_64

Donation Time
The parish tops are ok, but the fixings are very crude, also the rear window should be a little larger, gogin closer down to the body.. but they are nto a bad option if you dont have an original top.. i think the reason people go to the early tops on the late cars is for racing.. all cars i have seen with this are being used for competitino (normally track) The early screen would make a difference interms of top speed.. rootes made a retrograde step when they went to the later style screens, they made them taller and more vertical when they should have been going lower and more laid back..

Also hardtops do a great job on the paint on the body... though i hea you can get a 3m clear film that protects the bodywork

mike-down-under

Donation Time
Thanks for the replies. To explain, I have a series IV (or V) hardtop for my '64 Alpine - but the B pillars and rear lower sill need replacing as they are very rusty. I've seen some series I/II h/tops for sale and as I think it's a better looking roof I thought I'd do the post.

Now that that is soryed I'll pursue the parts to repair my h/top (new thread)

tks
Mike

(my car is picture 0143 and 0144)
events_gallery.php

alpine_64

Donation Time
Mike if this is your car.. great looking car

Is it a SIVGT thats been converted to a soft top using SV parts? Also i notice it has twin DCOE's.. is this one you built or bought? There is a HLM next to you at the show aswell.. whose car is that?

26945.jpg

26944.jpg

BRZDAD67

Donation Time
Another Hard top question

Great info guys. I just aquired a 1967 Series V with a hard top. The top is in great shape, but the metal frame just below the side windows seems to have been ground out to allow for the main windows to fit. Is this normal? Does anyone have pictures of an original 67 series V hard top installed? I would be interested in seeing what rework needs to be done to make my top more complete. Feel free to email pics to kirljam@yahoo.com. Thanks for everyone's help. I'll be posting pictures of my project when I figure out how to do it.

BRZDAD67

mikephillips

Donation Time
When you say ground out, do you mean that last couple inches at the front of the rail under the quarter window where it becomes about half the width?? If so then that's the way they were made. The door window isn't a butt joint to the hardtop like with the softtop, but is an overlapping joint with the window on the outside of the hardtop quarter window front end.