• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Happy 60th B-Day to my Sunbeam

ernestovumbles

Gold Level Sponsor
According to the VIN lookup my Sunbeam Series III-GT was built 60 years ago this week along with 213 other cars.
I'm 3 weeks older than my car, but I think the car is in nicer shape than I am.

52725641011_16820137cf_b.jpg

ernestovumbles

Gold Level Sponsor
FYI - I don't jack my series V to drain & re-fill the gearbox oil.

Thanks.. I had thought I had to get it from underneath.
just tried looking thru the WSM and couldnt find the procedure, but I do have a series V owners manual, and that does show going thru the passenger compartment.. I am guessing my SIII would be the same then.

I didnt realize.. never even looked under the carpeting yet. Obviously I've got a bunch more learning to do before I am ready to jump into that..

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Drain the gearbox from underneath the car. I can remove and install the gearbox drain plug without jacking the car.
Fill the gearbox using the access hole in the gearbox tunnel. There should be a large rubber plug in that access hole underneath the carpet. I fill the gearbox until it leaks out the fill hole. Use new copper crush washers on both the drain plug and fill plug.
Use a funnel with a long neck for filling the gearbox. Put down some plastic and rags on the passenger floor in case you spill while filling.

Drain plug:
1693936646286.png

Rubber plug and fill plug:
1693936748340.png

Mike

alpine_64

Donation Time
I've got a couple more years to reach the car being 60, But this time next year I'll have had the Alpine for 50 years. Where does the time go??.....
I was looking at an NA mx5 ( Miata) the original 1st series from 1989... And I realised that it is a car 10 years older than than when I got interested in Alpines....

ernestovumbles

Gold Level Sponsor
Drain the gearbox from underneath the car. I can remove and install the gearbox drain plug without jacking the car.
Fill the gearbox using the access hole in the gearbox tunnel. There should be a large rubber plug in that access hole underneath the carpet. I fill the gearbox until it leaks out the fill hole. Use new copper crush washers on both the drain plug and fill plug.
Use a funnel with a long neck for filling the gearbox. Put down some plastic and rags on the passenger floor in case you spill while filling.

Huge thanks Mike!!
That doesnt sound nearly as intimidating as I was thinking it would be..
I'll have to get under the carpeting to verify my access is the same as your Series V.

The WSM says straight 30 weight motor oil.. is that still the thing?
(I know oil questions is like asking about religion.. just looking for your opinion)

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Enter 'gearbox oil' in the forum "Search" box and you should find various threads discussing thoughts on which oil to use.

Mike