• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Hand-turning with Crankshaft Nut

mferris

Donation Time
It's been a while - but I have a new '66 w/1725 to work on and am stymied with the nut on the harmonic balancer.

All I want to do is hand-turn the engine while finding TDC/setting timing/etc.

The nut has, what I presume to be, the handcrank adapter welded to it (to fit into the hand crank which I wish I had). This is is keeping my socket from attaching and given the angles, I cannot get to it with a open/closed end wrench. I'd much rather not pull the radiator so I can cut off the extension.

Any ideas on how this has been done before. I'm not sure that the one-way connector on the end of the nut shaft will work with anything given that one of the "wings" seems to be broken - so a big screwdriver won't really work.

Appreciate any help in advance.

-M

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Mike, if you just want to get top dead position. Put it in gear and rock it gently until there. It takes patience but it will work....

mferris

Donation Time
Well - I've got it up on 4 jack stands - so it's a little hard to do at this point.

Still struggling with the leaking carb I created today, and the lack of any reasonable firing.

Oh well.

-M

chazza

Donation Time
I replaced the starting-dog on mine with a high-tensile bolt, onto which I can place a socket to turn the engine.

Try turning the dog backwards with a pipe wrench to get it off; mine was scarily loose :eek:

Cheers Charlie

Stephen

Silver Level Sponsor
I use 1 and 15/16 socket I place on from under the car then 2 long extensions and breaker bar

mferris

Donation Time
I'm sort of able to use a pipe wrench on the hand crank shaft sticking out of the crank nut.

Sadly the fan belt slips before it will turn the crank and the socket I have won't fit over the hand crank shaft.

I'll get through a valve adjustment but slowly.

chazza

Donation Time
You could always make a crank handle like I did - let me know if you want to know the sizes,

Cheers Charlie

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
Be sure to check out Jim Ellis' valve adjustment video tech sessions from a previous Invasion. Available on our Invasion website:

http://www.sunbeaminvasion.com/invasion-Video.htm

Some good tips including demonstrating rocking the car in gear to move the crank. However, if you have it on jack stands that won't help. Maybe remove all of the spark plugs to make turning it over easier if needed?

bmohr

Gold Level Sponsor
Can you get a dremel or similar tool in there to cut off the dog(s) for the crank? After that you might fit a socket on there.

I also have heard it's not good to turn via the fan blade although if your belt is slipping that's probably not much of an option anyway.

Good Luck,

mferris

Donation Time
OK. Those Jim Ellis videos helped a lot. I'll take it off the stands and rock it for the adjustment. That seems like the easiest way forward.

-M