• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Gun Ownership a Right?

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
I hate myself for even replying. I'm Canadian and we don't have a second (or any) amendement. Therefore, we can't make your arguments. I do have an opinion as it applies to Canada.

I was borm in 1949 and grew up on a large farm (about 1,000 acres in 1958). When I was about 10 or 11, I got my first 22, shot gophers, magpies, tried to hit crows. Then at about 14 or 15, I got a 12 guage for geese (and it worked wonders on crows). A year or 2 later I get a deer rifle, a 1st war Lee-Enfield 303.

I took over the family farm in 1967. I shot a few skunks and crows with the 22 and 12 guage. In the fall I took the 303 after deer and (if I got lucky with the draw) a moose or elk. IIRC, I got one moose tag and one elk tag in my life (deer tags were ask and get). Never even saw a moose or elk. Also hunted ducks and geese.

Anyway, my gun history was shooting 'varmits' and hunting. Life interefered and I left the farm to my brother. Hunting became a bit of a chore. I gave up hunting for raising a family.

Sometime, many years ago, the government decidied I need a license to buy a gun or amunition. Never bothered to get one. Hadn't fired a shot in years. Later they insisted I register my guns. Didn't agree and didn't bother. It cost $10 per each and I'd have to get an aquisition license. Technically, I was a criminal. I didn't agree and kept my formerly legal guns.

The registration law has been repealed, but if I want to shoot Bambi's mother, I have a lot of hoops to jump thru. Some years I think about hunting and then decide it ain't worth the hassle.

That said, I grew up with guns, but don't think a handgun or an fully automatic rifle is something that everyone should have. Other than killing people, they have little use. Yes, I know, target shooting etc. Even in Canada if you are really gung ho, you can own one.

What point are you trying to make? I think the peoples 'right to bear arms' is a warning to governments that they may be revolted against, not a reason to walk around packing heat.

I wish I didn't write this, not my circus and not my monkey. And I really don't want to get deeper into it.

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks for sharing, Hillman. Your upbringing and experiences are very similar to mine growing up in southern Minnesota in the 50's and 60's. I absolutely agree regarding handguns and automatic rifles. Pete

I hate myself for even replying. I'm Canadian and we don't have a second (or any) amendement.

I was borm in 1949 and grew up on a large farm (about 1,000 acres in 1958). When I was about 10 or 11, I got my first 22, shot gophers, magpies, tried to hit crows. Then at about 14 or 15, I got a 12 guage for geese (and it worked wonders on crows).

I shot a few skunks and crows with the 22 and 12 guage.

Anyway, my gun history was shooting 'varmits' and hunting.

That said, I grew up with guns, but don't think a handgun or an fully automatic rifle is something that everyone should have. Other than killing people, they have little use. Yes, I know, target shooting etc. Even in Canada if you are really gung ho, you can own one.

it.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I too, started at an early age...

Hunting and fishing on Lake Greenwood. At age 5 (1944) my Dad bought a bunch of land along the new lake (1939). I learned to swim, set trot lines, fish baskets, build flat bottom boats, trap minnows, raise worms for sale. Dad started a Fish Camp. I learned early to us a Fly Rod which I still love to use.

At age 10 Dad gave me a double barrel 16ga shotgun, later was allowed to have a 22 rifle and a 7 shot 22 pistol S&W M1 made somewhere around 1860. Still have it.

Hillman, after traveling to many countries including Canada, New Zealand and Alaska, fishing and hunting has been an experience not to be forgotten. Love the people I've met and the places I've been.

I guess you answered for me your question as to what am I getting at by: Quote What point are you trying to make? I think the peoples 'right to bear arms' is a warning to governments that they may be revolted against, not a reason to walk around packing heat.

A good read of the countries that have been taken over by Despots can be attributed primarily as a result of the "citizens" being un armed....

Again, our Governments have slowly and effectively removed "individual responsibilities" from our persons by not properly charging those who violate the Laws with a punishment applicable to the Crime in which they commit.

DanR

Last edited:

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
An ATF agent recently told me of Kennesaw GA, where they passed a law that every household, unless paupers or otherwise unable, is required to own and gun and ammunition. He told me crime dropped to practically nothing.

Alpine66

Donation Time
An ATF agent recently told me of Kennesaw GA, where they passed a law that every household, unless paupers or otherwise unable, is required to own and gun and ammunition. He told me crime dropped to practically nothing.

That is correct, it's a law to have a firearm in Kennesaw, although afaik no one has been charged/ prosecuted for not doing so.