• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Grey paint

studmobile

Diamond Level Sponsor
Does any0ne have a brand/source for the grey paint used on the case of instruments? Seems to be a flat, which is hard to find except as primer. Are the seat frames and convertible top rails the same grey? Have not been able to find it in searching the forum. Thanks, David

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
The cases were not painted when new. They had some sort of finish, sort of like zinc or cad plating,
but it wasn't either of those.

I have found that Rustoleum dark grey paint is almost a perfect match for the seat and top frames.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have found that Rustoleum dark grey paint is almost a perfect match for the seat and top frames.

Hi Steve,

I haven't seen the Rustoleum dark gray paint in person, but here is a picture of my unrestored series V convertible frame with the Rustoleum dark gray color as a comparison. I've thought of the seat frame and convertible frame as a light gray. I know, colors taken with a camera and then displayed on a computer screen are tricky and subject to much variation ... (I may take the frame in to get color matched at some point.)

upload_2022-3-23_20-58-29.png

upload_2022-3-23_20-59-13.png

Mike

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Mike,
The cap color and the actual color are not the same. I'm in the middle of refinishing a pair of seats
for a Mk1 Tiger. They were rusty but still had some paint on them. Here's a shot of the bottom.
I had thought the same thing about the paint and had bought the lt grey, but it's too light.
The dark grey is almost spot on.

IMG_1941.JPG

alpine_64

Donation Time
Mike,
The cap color and the actual color are not the same. I'm in the middle of refinishing a pair of seats
for a Mk1 Tiger. They were rusty but still had some paint on them. Here's a shot of the bottom.
I had thought the same thing about the paint and had bought the lt grey, but it's too light.
The dark grey is almost spot on.

View attachment 25852
Them seats be pprrrurty

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks Michael!
Cars been a lot of work, but finally getting there, Here's what the interior is starting
to look like.

IMG_1942.JPG

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
The cases were not painted when new. They had some sort of finish, sort of like zinc or cad plating,
but it wasn't either of those.

Rustolium has a grey that is very close. I will go out later and get the color