• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Got the paint today

gordonra

Donation Time
Well, maybe I'm getting nervous......

Stopped by the Sherwin Williams store today and picked up the base and clear for Labor Day weekend, and I'll have the body complete this weekend and ready to go. $270 for a gallon of base, two quarts of reducer, a gallon of clear and one quart of hardener.

I've even talked the wife and daughter in to helping me with the final prep.

We have a booth down at my work, and I've got approval to do it there....

90hp screw compressor with a dryer, filter, regulator, and plenty of air hose with my own spray gun.

Rich

serIIalpine

Donation Time
Good luck.

Hurry up and get it back together so you can go on the SocalTT.

Post some before and after pix.

Eric

'62 SerII

gordonra

Donation Time
Hi Bill,

Sorry for the delayed response. I had to go to Corpus Christi for the week, and didn't keep up with the forum while I was out.

I used Sherwin Williams 4th Dimension series paint. It is a two stage system, with hardener in the clear coat.

The color went on well after I remembered to check the pressure at the gun with the trigger pulled instead of the trigger off. 3 coats of color.... Chrysler Prowler Orange Metalic.

The clear was a different story..... In the midst of the heat wave we had over Labor Day weekend, the first two coats went down pretty good. You have to wait about an hour between coats to give it time to partially cure. The problem came in as the daytime temp crept up.... The warmer it got, the more problem I had with overspray on the previously painted area. It wouldn't flow allowing the surface to smooth out as well.

The normal process is to color sand it and polish.... I'm still doing the color sanding, and because of the overspray issues, it takes a lot more elbow grease with 2000 grit wet.

I have just under 1/3 of it sanded and polished about half of that. I am really very pleased with the end result so far. It's not perfect, but I think it's pretty darn good.

btw, the booth I used is open to the outside on one side, but in California, there is normally very little contamination. However, I did get some gnats in the top coat of clear.... seems something in the clear attracted them when it warmed up.

I'll Try to get some photos posted when I get it polished.

Rich

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Glad to see you got a usable job.

I've read some instructions that start the color sanding with 800 grit paper, then go to 1200, then 1500 or 2000. The idea is to sand out the over spray/ orange peel with the 800, then sand out the sanding marks with the progressively finer paper.

I think that knowing how to avoid over spray is one of the things that separates the painters from the wannabees. I have large areas that are beautiful, bordered by over spray.

My problem was flies. And yes, the clear coat seemed to attract buzzing critters. None in the color coat, 3 or 4 in the clearcoat. After sealing off the garage, I noticed I had a dozen or so green flies buzzing around. Took two or three hours using swatters and fly spray to get rid of them. Seemed like I'd kill one, two would appear.

Fun fun fun
Bill

gordonra

Donation Time
Unfortunately, in my line of work, the last 6 months of the year get very busy and it leaves even less time for me to work on the Alpne.

I am very encouraged though by getting the paint done though. It means that the car is going back together, and that has breathed some re-newed entheusiam into the project.

Rich

gordonra

Donation Time
It's only about 40% done, but here is a shot of how it's turning out. I think I'm going to reshoot the hood since I mixed all the paint at the same time. There are a couple of spots where I must have got it a bit heavy, but not enough to make it run. You can see some variation in the metal content and it's bugging me!

http://members.cox.net/rich.gordon/alpine/new_body.jpg

Color is Chrysler Prowler Orange Metalic. It really pops in the sunlight.

This photo was taken with my phone camera...... please excuse the photo quality.

Rich

serIIalpine

Donation Time
If you have a decent amount of paint applied you could easily sand this clear flat. Use 800 (just for a little bit) then 1000 then 1500. Wrap the paper around a paint stir stick to keep it really flat. Take your time.

Good luck

Eric
'62 SerII

C

Comanderbob

Paint Work

Boy. I dont envy you. I did that on my Tiger, and it is a LOT of work. I sanded for 2-3 days all the way to 2000 grit which felt more like regular paper with no grit. It all must be done wet (at least thats what I was told)
Then the hard part buffing it out. about a weeks of work for me. Heavy duty to fine grit to get the gloss back. and when you're done, you notice spots that you didn't sand enough, so you start over again..

Wishing you all the best.

If it helps, the Tiger turned out great, and I learned to hate the buffer.

serIIalpine

Donation Time
Wet with a drop of dish soap in a 2 gallon bucket of water.

Soak your paper at least 10 mins first.

The 3M perfect it product line of pads and polish work very nicely.

Eric

62 SerII