• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Good Swap Transmission?

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor

Attachments

• colorado canyon.jpg
    colorado canyon.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Chazbeam

Silver Level Sponsor
t5 swap

Wow thats a lot cheeper a kit then the dellow...oh i see its for specific engines
I dont know that transmission Colorado/Canyon 5 speed.
looks beefy...but alot like the toyota...does the shift position work?
I made my own bell hopusing by cutting an old sunbeam and having a plate welded on and then drilled out for the w58..it worked out perfect in the end....last time the engine was out i was shocked how little wear was on the clurtch disc

I had gotten lucky and found a source for the 21 spline w58 to alpine
circumference clutch disks locally...What i liked about the toyota w58 was its the highest gear ration around in something that works in the alpine.. with my 65 rear the way the car runs is a lot more like a modern feel..
I was worried about the 1600 engine being able to push the car with such lower revs but i am shocked at the amount of torque this little motor puts to the wheels.. i don't push it hard because im not into another engine rebuild just yet... but its a pleasure to drive it this way...
And im getting almost 35 MPG now
Evertime i drive it i think what was rootes group thinking?
Chaz

This adapter will allow you to run a Colorado/Canyon 5 speed. For the T5 pattern it requires 4 holes drilled and 2 tapped. More favorable shifter location. Uses 26 spline Chevy input/clutch splines and Turbo350 yoke. It does have 3.75 first though so higher rear ratio required. .72 OD.

http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/adapters/engine_to_transmission/ax15/kit_amax15.htm

Last edited:

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Chaz,Similar to the Toyota Supra R154, except GM input and output shafts. Very strong and have been tested in 400Hp LS V8 Mallet conversions in Solstice. Shifter location would be same as 4 speed in Tigers but centered in hump. I'm thinking MGB rear with new 3.31 gears would work pretty good with my 260 Ford V8. Jeep AX15 is basically the same except with more forward shifter and lower first gear. The 4 holes drilled to bolt to T5 bellhousing.

Last edited:

miket

Donation Time
I started out with a T5 from a V6 Camaro. The ratios were too low. So now I have a T5 from the V8 camaro which is just right.

The shifter came out quite far back, which meant I had to modify the tunnel.

Looking at the photos here, I might try to find a tail from the Chevette T5.

Mike

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Mike, The Astro/Safari van would be easier as you would just change the housing. The Chevette has a short output(main)shaft also. The Chevette and Astro are both NWC. NWC trans output(main)shafts only swap with NWC. Newer WC S10 housing will swap with WC Mustang and Camaro as output (Main)shaft is same length.

Last edited: