• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

GM 3.4 1st fit

miket

Donation Time
It's taken a while. I 1st bought a Chevy 3.1 FWD engine and after getting most of what I need to convert it to RWD, I decided not to use it. Mostly because I want to use a RWD 3.4. I will still use many of this parts though.

So finally yesterday and today I did a test fit. The good news is that the 3.4 is a 60 degree engine, as you probbly know. And the really good news is that the Alpine engine mounts are also 60 degrees from each other.

I had purchased two pieces of 3/16 steel plate at the renovation center, the kind used with a floor jack, and adapted them to bolt to the existing engine mounting point.

Finally I lowered the engine into the bay. It went in quite nicely. As a test I made two 1.5 inch standoffs from plywood. The standoffs were placed between the Alpine engine mounts and the two plates. Perfect fit. The harmonic balance/pully is about 3/8 of an inch above the cross member.

Now to attach the transmission so that I can insure that the engine/transmission is properly aligned in the tunnel. Then I can fabricate steel standoffs.

I have a pair of Fiero headers on the engine. And everything fits quite well. I'll have to do something to deal with the heat. But thats for later.

Another note, my son just purchased a Camaro with the same 3.4. And it's quite quick. So with a car half the weight, this should be a great ride.

I took a few pictures for everyone to see the result, but they were too large. I will resize them so you can all see how well this engine fits.

Mike

britbeam

Donation Time
Thats interesting about using the Fiero headers. Do you have clearance at the steering box? Best of luck with your conversion.
Dwain V6 Krazy

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Mike, have you turned the wheels from lock to lock? Hope you have. That's where a lot of engine swaps go sour. The inner tie rods tend to hit stuff like starters and exhaust. A set of Fiero headers would be a very cheap solution to a vexing problem as the 3.4 would be a very desirable swap.

Bill

miket

Donation Time
I'm changing the steering box to a rack and pinion. I know about the ackerman issues, but I'm not really concerned, yet.

A picture is now attached. You can see the wooden standoff, and the Fiero exhaust.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi MIke,

I know it is only early, but it looks like you might have a win. I hope the rest of the conversion goes the same way for you. Make sure you keep us posted.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Miket,

Please don't go to the rack and pinion steering. You will regret it. It won't handle like an Alpine anymore. I know that it sounds like the easy road, but it is worth the effort to keep the stock steering arrangement.

Jose :(

miket

Donation Time
Jose,

I appreciate your concern, but I'm 62 , and my main goal is a fun highway car that I can take short trips with. These roads are too crowded now, and I have an MGA for short spins along the lakeshore.

But I'll see what I can do.

I think I have a more pressing issue with the exhaust. The passenger side manifold is about two inches away from the 4way junction for the brakes.

If the fluid starts to boil, I'll be wrapped around a tree in no time. Hopefully I can relocate the 4way.

thanks,

Mike

Mod_Squad!

Bronze Level Sponsor
You shouldn't have any problem relocating the junction. At that point you might want to go to a dual circuit m/c setup. There is a (I think it's a Nissan unit) master cylinder that will allow you to split the brakes.
Have Fun,
Bryan:)

britbeam

Donation Time
You shouldn't have any problem relocating the junction. At that point you might want to go to a dual circuit m/c setup. There is a (I think it's a Nissan unit) master cylinder that will allow you to split the brakes.
Have Fun,
Bryan:)

I recently installed the Nissan F10 Master cylinder with Mitsu Galant remote reservoir. This is not just a drop in fit. You will have to either make the hole in the firewall larger for the master or do as I did and reduce the diameter of the mastercylinder boss to fit the firewall. My 62 S2 Alpine now has safe brakes.
Dwain V6 Krazy