• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Getting a V6, custom paint&interior and this..

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
Good luck with that ! :eek: Let us know how it works out for ya !!:D
Tom J

too bad there weren't more dinosaurs.

Tom J

skywords

Donation Time
Speaking of the Hindenburg did anyone catch that special on PBS (Secrets of the Dead) about the infamous derigible. It has always been said and widely accepted that the gas bags were the point of origin of the fire. They proved that the fabric outer covering was to blame because it was not electrically bonded to the structure and itself. The fabric was coated with a dope mixture of aluminum powder and iron oxide for UV protection. The same ingrediants that Morton Thiakol uses for rocketfuel. When the mooring ropes were lowered and the ship if bonded properly would have discharge all the static electricity evenly, it instead only partially discharged leaving some of the fabric bays charged and when they discharged thru some lacing cord it caught fire. They put some of the oringinal fabric between two poles of a Jacobs ladder and it burst into flames. All these tests were performed by a leading expert in Hydrogen fuels who wrote safety manuals about the handling of Hydrogen for NASA.

They found many classified documents from the Zeppilin works that built it concerning the work they did in their investigtion and they came to the same conclusion. They did not let the world know this because of the imbarrassment it would have caused for the NAZI's faulty engineering and all.

The Hindenburg has always given it a bad rap.

Wombat

Donation Time
The iron oxide and powdered aluminium mix is also used in the thermite welding of rail lines (amongst other things). You place the mix in a mould around the joint to be made, light it up and stand back. The aluminium combines with the oxygen in the iron oxide and the heat of the process melts the ends of the rails, combining with the molten iron from the thermite mix to weld the rails together. Or at least this is my non-chemists understanding of the process. I stand to be corrected.

skywords

Donation Time
The iron oxide and powdered aluminium mix is also used in the thermite welding of rail lines (amongst other things). You place the mix in a mould around the joint to be made, light it up and stand back. The aluminium combines with the oxygen in the iron oxide and the heat of the process melts the ends of the rails, combining with the molten iron from the thermite mix to weld the rails together. Or at least this is my non-chemists understanding of the process. I stand to be corrected.

That's very interesting. I learn something everyday. Now thats the lazy mans way of welding. I love it:)
Thanks

Jeff Scoville

Donation Time
Last night on "The History Channel" was a show on welding and it's history.
The coolest thing I saw that I hadn't seen before was how they fused 2 dissimilar metals together through an explosive process.
(Very basic explanation)
They would lay down the thicker of the two panels and then put spacers down in a grid to hold the top panel away about an inch.
They then build a containment border to spec (around 3 inches deep) and fill with powder, light it off and BANG!
The pressure force pushes the top sheet down with such speed and force that the two are "meshed" together.
These panels are used quite a bit in refineries and power plants, I would imagine the purpose is to have the metal you need on one side while gaining the strength from the thicker less expensive backing layer.
Apparently the concept was discovered during WWI and WWII when shrapnel was fused to tanks and what not, due to the force of the two hitting each other, not the heat as first thought.
Pretty cool.