• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Geoff Tedder at Watkins Glen

A

AlpineIan

FYI: Geoff Tedder will be racing this weekend at Watkins Glen. I'm joining him at the track... please look us up if you are going to be there.

jack Bacon

Donation Time
Watkins Glen

Ian,

Try to get some quality photos we could use for a Sunbeam Calendar.

Also look up a vintage race friend, Mark Brandow. He usually races at Watkins Glen in his MG.

Regards,

Jack

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
My daughter passed Geoff on the road

This is so funny, my daughter was on the road Thursday driving back to her college in Canada (PEI), and she said she passed Geoff pulling his yellow Alpine racer. What a small world?
Jan

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jan, I assume this is the Alpine running the "Tedder" engine with Chevy rods as you described in the Marque sometime back. In the article you did not specify what you did with the small ends of the rods. I assume you honed out the rods to fit the Alpine wrist pins to float and did not use any bushings. Is that correct? If so its success in racing proves we can do without bushings.

Secondly can you tell me what "new radiator" is used in it? Ian mentioned in an earlier post that it ran cool and fine with the new radiator.

Thanks,

Tom Hayden

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Tom,
Well sure, the honing works great. Tell me why you think the bushings are there?
Ian found a local shop that will replace the core with a new & better core. They work very, very well. This will cure the overheating problems

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jan, I have read other opinions that were unsure if steel on steel is a good bearing interface, even on a wrist pin where there is not a lot of rotation. I also note that the stock rods used a bushing. So there is more than a little suggestion that a bushing is needed. Glad to hear it is not needed. But also please confirm that you honed it out enough to "float" and not just honed enough to press fit.

Do you (or Ian) know what was different about the radiator core? More rows?

Thanks,

Tom

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
You want a normal fit (0.0005" I think) to float the pins. I good tech using a Sunnen hone, should know the clearance.
You need to check with Ian on the radiator differences. The passages are larger than the Alpine, I did notice that difference.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks Jan, (and so many others). Sheesh, I can't believe how many questions I've asked trying to get this engine fixed right!

Tom

A

AlpineIan

Just got back from Watkins Glen... WOW! what a great time. Tedder's Alpine ran good and he was thrilled to drive on that track. There were a lot of great cars there too.

I did see a red RHD Alpine on Thursday night and a BRG with black hard top on Sunday. Who's cars were those? anyone?

P.S. if you are going to injure yourself... be sure you do it at the track. I managed to put a screwdriver through my hand on Friday and the track medical facility got me right in and out for free! Benefits of being part of a racing team! ;)

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Ian,
It figures that you'd be there this year, and with the Tredder car as well! I was there last year and had planned on being there this year, but the Alpines on the blink and had a special family thing pop up so I wasn't able to go this year. I really would have liked to have met you & seen a great Alpine on onne of this countrys great tracks!

Hopefully you and the Tedder car will be there next year, 'cause I will be!

Cheers!
Steve

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Ian,

Ouch... that probably brough tears to your eyes. I suspect Watkins Glen has an excellent response team. Road America's emergency facility is very impressive, too.... I toured it... versus utilizing it!

Steve