• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

generator light on (most of the time)

Jeb Stuart

Platinum Level Sponsor
Generator light on when I start the car. Will go out if I rev it up high while driving. It'll stay out until i start it again. Where to start? Just pull the generator and replace the brushes and go from there?

Thanks again

ChrisR

Donation Time
I have just been through the whole charging/gen system and found the voltage regulator and warning light simulator broken.
Check the voltage across the battery with engine running. If it is around 13-13.8V and the warning light is on it could be a faulty warning light simulator.
If you are getting less than 12v then the brushes are good start.
There is also an easy check to isolate the voltage regulator. I cannot remember exactly. I think It involves taking off the leads to the regulator and shorting the F lead to the -ve lead or Ground and then run the engine. At idle. Again, if the battery voltage is around 13+ volts then it is a faulty regulator. If lower than 12v then it is the Alternator.
This worked for my SV with Lucas Generator.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jeb, What series Alpine? Your profile seems to say you have an S3 and an SV. Your post says "generator" light, so maybe you mean your S3 since an SV has an Alternator, not generator.

Tom

Jeb Stuart

Platinum Level Sponsor
Wow, thanks for the quick replies. I am terrible with electrical things. The generator is new enough to where the brushes shouldn't be worn yet. I mean I don't drive it that much - but I'll check. I'll also check those things listed and try to find how to check the regulator. Don't want to just throw parts at it. However, live in Atlanta (Decatur) and Mitty is a few week away. The car is a S3. Stock electrical with positive ground. Except for the Weber carb the whole car is stock. The SV is long gone. I guess need to update things.

Thanks once again

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
A lot of what ChrisR wrote pertains to an SV with an Alternator, but checking the battery voltage while idling makes sense. I think it is normal for the generator light to be on while idling, because a generator does not have enough output to charge a battery while idling.

Tom