• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Gearbox oil suggestions??

Lons 62

Bronze Level Sponsor
The workshop manual for my 62 Sunbeam Alpine calls for 30 weight motor oil. Is that what others are using rather than a multi viscosity gearbox oil? How about rear axle oil? Thanks in advance!

65beam

Donation Time
SAE 30 in the trans and 80/90 gear oil in the rear end. Brands don't mean anything if they meet the proper specs for the application.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Bob,

It would be very useful to the OP, and others, if you listed the proper specs for these applications.

Thanks,
Mike

65beam

Donation Time
Bob,

It would be very useful to the OP, and others, if you listed the proper specs for these applications.

Thanks,
Mike
The specs are easy to understand and nothing complicated. Don't worry about viscosity or temp range, etc. The SAE 30 that was used in the transmission when the cars were built carried an API engine service category of SB thru 1967. If you look at a current bottle of SAE 30 you'll find that every brand now probably carries the current SN designation so buy any brand of SAE 30. Just read the label. Current spec oils are backwards compatable with early specs. The same holds true for the 80/90. Buy any brand quart bottle of 80/90 gear oil for use in an Alpine rear end unless you have a limited slip. Brand means nothing if the oil met the proper specs to carry the current API category . It's not rocket science. I buy house brands for these two uses. I save a lot of money doing that.

Lons 62

Bronze Level Sponsor
The specs are easy to understand and nothing complicated. Don't worry about viscosity or temp range, etc. The SAE 30 that was used in the transmission when the cars were built carried an API engine service category of SB thru 1967. If you look at a current bottle of SAE 30 you'll find that every brand now probably carries the current SN designation so buy any brand of SAE 30. Just read the label. Current spec oils are backwards compatable with early specs. The same holds true for the 80/90. Buy any brand quart bottle of 80/90 gear oil for use in an Alpine rear end unless you have a limited slip. Brand means nothing if the oil met the proper specs to carry the current API category . It's not rocket science. I buy house brands for these two uses. I save a lot of money doing that.
This helps a lot! Thank you.

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
I have always been told to use non-detergent oil in things that don't have a proper filter. Non-detergent allows particles to fall out instead of being carried around in the oil. Comments from the oil experts?

Thanks.

Mike

65beam

Donation Time
The definition of an engine oil detergent is an additive in engine oils that is combined with dispersant additives. This detergent chemically neutralizes acidic contaminants in the oil before they become insoluble and fall out of the oil and if they fall out you have sludge. Detergents combined with a dispersant prevents varnish on the parts and the dispersant breaks up insoluble contaminants that may have already formed. You have no combustion cycle in your transmission so that cuts down a lot of the problems but there are also anti wear-agents, corrosion inhibitors, antioxidants and foam inhibitors. Non detergent engine oil is a very ,very hard to find product. It comes back to the law of supply and demand. No demand so how much supply of non detergent is out there. Oils with detergents are now used in small 4 cycle engines. Use what you want but think about this. Do any of these other additives give you extra protection of the internal parts?

Lons 62

Bronze Level Sponsor
The definition of an engine oil detergent is an additive in engine oils that is combined with dispersant additives. This detergent chemically neutralizes acidic contaminants in the oil before they become insoluble and fall out of the oil and if they fall out you have sludge. Detergents combined with a dispersant prevents varnish on the parts and the dispersant breaks up insoluble contaminants that may have already formed. You have no combustion cycle in your transmission so that cuts down a lot of the problems but there are also anti wear-agents, corrosion inhibitors, antioxidants and foam inhibitors. Non detergent engine oil is a very ,very hard to find product. It comes back to the law of supply and demand. No demand so how much supply of non detergent is out there. Oils with detergents are now used in small 4 cycle engines. Use what you want but think about this. Do any of these other additives give you extra protection of the internal parts?
Interesting. I was buying my SAE 30 oil only yesterday and noticed that there was also non-detergent available (NAPA oil). That is the first time that I have ever seen non-detergent oil in an auto parts store. I decided to go with the detergent and then thought I should ask you which one you use. Guess I don't have to do that now. Thanks again for the info.

Last edited:

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Related topic thread on the SAOC forum (for folks with access). They are claiming Rootes switched the gearbox recommendation to 20W-50 once multi-grade oils became available. Suggest any feedback on the SAOC content be made directly on the SAOC site.

https://www.sunbeamalpineowners.club/forum/gearbox-overdrive-51/gearbox-oil

Thanks,
Mike
Across the Pond and in a parallel universe.
The Rootes owners manual recommends 10w30 and 20w40 in the Series II engines. By the late 1950's, 10w30 oil was, by almost any definition, the universal automotive motor oil in central Indiana. Dad leased a Shell station in 1960, I think we sold more 10w30 that 20w and 30w combined. We also had a Shell non-detergent, I think in 30. Mostly sold it to farmers who used it in their old pickups and needed to avoid detergent oil.

Bill

65beam

Donation Time
Interesting. I was buying my SAE 30 oil only yesterday and noticed that there was also non-detergent available (NAPA oil). That is the first time that I have ever seen non-detergent oil in an auto parts store. I decided to go with the detergent and then thought I should ask you which one you use. Guess I don't have to do that now. Thanks again for the info.
I've been in the petroleum business for several decades. I guess I have my opinion based on knowledge of the changes over the years. I remember the turmoil when we had to tell customers that there was no longer a need for turbo specific oils when the SG spec came out in the early 90's. If you were to test the ND 30 you would find it not to be totally non detergent.

65beam

Donation Time
Across the Pond and in a parallel universe.
The Rootes owners manual recommends 10w30 and 20w40 in the Series II engines. By the late 1950's, 10w30 oil was, by almost any definition, the universal automotive motor oil in central Indiana. Dad leased a Shell station in 1960, I think we sold more 10w30 that 20w and 30w combined. We also had a Shell non-detergent, I think in 30. Mostly sold it to farmers who used it in their old pickups and needed to avoid detergent oil.

Bill
They also wanted a 30 for their old Ford tractors. I wouldn't even begin to speculate on the amount of Pennzoil Aircraft 70 I sold to auto parts stores for use in Harleys.