• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

gauges problem

BACKYARD

Silver Level Sponsor
having rewired my 67 , I can't get the temp and fuel gauges to work right . both sending units seem to be working as I get as I get ground from them when tank has gas and temp is up . I have 12 volts into the consonance voltage regulator and 9 coming out to the gauges , but the gauges just stay pegged to the lowest setting . if I bypass the regulator and run 12 volts to the gauges ,they seem to work fine , gas reads 2 gallons , that is about what I put in the car and temp reads 180 , but infrared reads 150 . any ideals? new harness and grounds run to everything

BACKYARD

Silver Level Sponsor
I have a new one that looks just like the one that came out ,not sure how to tell the difference , can't down load the site you sent, looks like there is a security risk

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
It's non sensitive data served via regular http protocol. No need to encrypt it ... modern browsers think they should block regular http traffic as it might not be secure. Silly one size fits all policy. I'll exchange the doc with you via PM.

Original voltage regulators have a bi-metal heating element that opens and closes multiple times per second to create an 'average' of 10V equivalent. With an analog meter you would see the needle moving back and forth multiple times per second. With a digital meter, you would see the voltage reading almost looking confused, like it can't figure out what the reading should be. Solid state regulators will put out a consistent voltage and with either analog or digital meters you will see a constant voltage value.

Mike

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have 12 volts into the consonance voltage regulator and 9 coming out to the gauges , but the gauges just stay pegged to the lowest setting .
How are you measuring the voltage to the gauges ? Do you read 9 Volts actually at the gauge terminals with the senders connected to the gauges?

I expect that you are using a modern solid state voltage stabilizer, and not an original On/Off stabilizer, or you would have noticed right away that the voltage measure would not read any steady value but rather on off "blinking" voltage.

I am guessing that you measure 9 volts output from the regulator with no gauges connected but when the gauges are connected the voltage drops to zero, or near zero. With 9 volts on the gauge, it should read low, but not zero.

Tom

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
The thermistor is likely rated different than the gauge. On Tigers anyone of the P. O. s. May have installed a standard 289 for a Mustang. Possibly try a different temp sender..
On Tigers I've found that a known stock thermistor reads fine the oddball 289 or 302 from xyz auto parts can read low or high...