• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Gauge Needle Paint

greenbean

Donation Time
Some of you may be way ahead of me, but I am rebuilding/beautifying my gauges myself as they all work well, so I had the issue of painting the needle the correct Series V color. I spoke to many who said to use upside down red paint, but I could not find the correct color to match (two cans later :(). So I goggled "Red Fluorescent Gauge Needle Paint" and found a site called www.HiPoParts.com. They had many shades available red (with a little orange added = Ford), red/orange (GM or maybe you have to mix it yourself), orange (Chrysler) and the Red looked the closest to My Series V original needle color that had not faded --- in fact it was a perfect match (according to my wife that has more color cones in her eyes as all woman do -- so she tells me). It took two coats and I am major happy :). The code number was HP-FLRED-01 and it comes in a tiny bottle that will do about 5 cars. The paint looks almost pink when wet and in the bottle, but when dry it is definitely red red/orange and to me it matched the un-faded portion of my needle --- plus it was like $6.95 including shipping. Hope that helps someone :) Russ

greenbean

Donation Time
The upside down paint I referenced is the marking paint they use in the construction industry, it has a fluorescent product built in. It has a nozzle like a whipped cream can so you can spray it upside down and make lines on the ground versus a spray nozzle on a regular paint can where you are suppose to pretty much just spray in front of you and it sprays in a fan. Plus you do not have to get real close to the ground with the "whipped-cream" spray nozzle to mark stuff.

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
A thing to watch when painting the gauge needles is not to apply to heavy a coat.. just enough to get your colour back. the extra weight can actually throw the calibration of the gauges.. I'm not pulling a leg here either.. its a well documented issue.

As for paint many people used a model paint.. there was a nice write-up on the gauge rebuilds on the tigersunited or TEAE site IIRC... worth a read.

Last edited:

greenbean

Donation Time
Yeah I totally agree on the number of coats you put on. That is why I was afraid to use model paint as it is so thick. I guess you could thin it down though. On thing the directions basically said was "more is not better the least with the best coverage is best". The paint I got is quite thin and my wife basically put a light coat on where the needles had turned white-ish and then one final coat to make sure we had an even blend. Great comment on your part --- keep us all thinking before we do something is smart.